Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Benefits to cleaning up ports on cylinder block?

Hi Stephen, I'll let others respond regarding how much to take off. However, I would think that matching manifolds and gaskets to the ports, without removing much material would be beneficial. I can see that the ports are not symmetrical. You won't be doing much, but you would be reducing turbulence and increasing flow. The former is good for a combustion chamber, but slow in the passages into and out of the chamber. I wouldn't much call this porting but just cleaning up casting flash and that sort of thing. Like blue printing, matching weights of pistons and rods, always gave a bit more power, without actually changing engine dynamics. Sort of like Vincent motors, the Rapide was not as balanced as the Shadow though their tuning was not very different. Better balance means less friction, more power and ultimately more longevity at high RPM. Its what made my Aermacchi motor spin to 9,000 without sending out the rod.