Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Rebuilt engine refuses to start

Hi all. I have to admit I am at a lost to why my engine will not start after a rebuild. There is good compression on all cylinders as this can be felt when turning the engine by hand. There is also spark at the plugs. I have also checked both valve and ignition timing a number of times together with Tappet clearances. I have changed the petrol in the carb float chamber. The engine turns over on the electric starter reasonably quickly but almost stops when it gets to firing point then quickens again once past this point only to slow again at the next firing point. I have checked all plugs and they are wet after cranking.
Is it a possibility that the engine is not cranking quickly enough to start. If so could I disconnect the starter and ignition circuit from the starter and temporary connect these together in order that the ignition runs on 6 volt whilst putting 12volts to the starter in order to turn the engine faster.
All suggestions are welcome as to possible causes as to why it will not fire up.

John Mason

Re: Rebuilt engine refuses to start

John
This screams ignition timing,it should fire on the handle,so cranking speed isn't an issue.You say that you have a good spark,and that you have checked the timing, are you certain that the spark is, or just before TDC? Remove all four plugs, and lay them on the cylinder head,switch the ignition on and turn the engine over by hand, establish when a piston is on its firing stroke and that the plug fires at or just before TDC.
With petrol in the carb and a spark at roughly the right time there aint no reason why it wont fire.
J

Hi john.

Is it not trying at all to start.

Or is it trying but won't start.

Tony.

Tony
Hi john.

Is it not trying at all to start.

Or is it trying but won't start.

Tony.

It's not trying at all. I thought I may have been 180% out on the ignition timing so I moved the plug leads two places around the dizzy cap but that only resulted in a backfire through the exhaust. I have moved them back to the original there is a spark from the plugs when laid on top of the head.

John Mason

Thoroughly check that your plug leads are all sound and that the cap and rotor arm are faultless.
Check also that the manifolds are tight and its not sucking In Extra air to dilute the fuel mixture.

They always start eventually , except if you've not fitted the timing chain/ distributor to the right marks, if you had the engine fully stripped.

Best of luck and hope it starts soon

Regards
Bill G

As I get older I have developed a habit of putting the leads on the wrong plugs...the A7 will run with two leads switched, just.

I am not for a moment suggesting that you are similarly afflicted but I don't half feel an idiot when I realise what I've done.

When you first told us that your engine wouldn't start in Brian Hutchin's thread a couple of weeks ago both Alan Fairless and myself suggested a tow start had worked for us in the past when we've had 'new' engines that didn't want to play. Have you tried it?

Also, in your first post you report: "The engine turns over on the electric starter reasonably quickly but almost stops when it gets to firing point then quickens again once past this point only to slow again at the next firing point."

That suggests it's thinking about starting but can't. Just the sort of thing a tow might overcome.

Steve

If your valve timing is right and firing order is correct try turning the distributor while you pull the starter. It should at least cough somewhere in the first 10 or 15 degrees of rotation which will give you encouragement and a point to note the distributor position...

John Mason
Hi all. The engine turns over on the electric starter reasonably quickly but almost stops when it gets to firing point then quickens again once past this point only to slow again at the next firing point.

I know you have checked your timing, but a motor behaving like yours often has the timing set with too much ignition advance. Would be worth marking your existing timing with a paint pen across the distributor and clamp, and then try retarding it bit by bit by turning the distributor in the direction of rotatation i.e. clockwise at each attempt, and see if either the motor cranks properly or whether the motor sounds more like it's trying to fire.

You have my every sympathy John, at least mine has been persuaded to run and even to allow a couple of test runs of about 3 miles each.
I have terrible problems getting the engine to run and keep running. I suspect the float chamber level and am looking at that at the moment. When running the engine pops and bangs for a bit but then settles down.
I still have a screeching noise at times despite a new set of brushes in the dynamo and a check on the bearings in the (rebuilt) dynamo but the bearing is a new sealed one and seems to be ok.
I must agree with others that ignition timing is probably the key to our problems but its not easy getting to a satisfactory starting (no pun intended) point to make final adjustments.

Sounds like too much advance - the starter is fighting the piston having fired too early and trying to run backwards.

S

I always find compression stroke. Aim the timing mark for the ole pressure take off. Set the dizzy so the bit on the points is just about to go up the cam to open.

If it doesnt fire (usually does), retard it a smidge and it will.

Then fine tune with the dizzy

Sometimes a new engine will have no compression. This makes it difficult on two fronts.

It is hard to figure out the compression stroke. And poor compression leads to a small bang. So its hard to start.

Im with the others. Give it a tow

I had a similar problem recently with my 29 special. Having dismantled the engine to cure an oil leak I noticed a lot of backlash on the camshaft gears, so I sorted through my bag of bits and found two that meshed closer.

Although I eventually got the engine to fire, it would not run smoothly or pull well. like yours it had good(ish) compression. Working on the premise that I started with an engine that worked and now it didn't and the only thing I'd changed was the camshaft gear, I assumed I'd set the new gear with the timing marks misaligned. So I pulled the cover off and checked - dots aligned. I then got out the valve/cam/crankshaft diagram - whatever the proper name for that is - and compared the valve openings/dwells with the pistons. They were slightly out.

I then compared the fitted cam gear with the one I had replaced. The keyway/dots angle was about 170 degrees different! I always thought they were identical, although matched pairs. Obviously not. So, did you fit a new gear?

Rick

John Mason

It's not trying at all. I thought I may have been 180% out on the ignition timing so I moved the plug leads two places around the dizzy cap but that only resulted in a backfire through the exhaust. I have moved them back to the original there is a spark from the plugs when laid on top of the head.

John Mason

Is there a clue here? The only way of checking the ignition timing is to start again from scratch. Find No 1 compression stroke by putting your thumb over number 1 plug hole. Verify piston at TDC with pencil through plug hole and adjust on handle. Set dizzy arm to point at No 1 plug on cap. Set remaining leads to run 1 3 4 2 in clockwise order viewed from top. This should be near enough to get engine going but will of course need tweaking for accurate timing etc.

If that does not achieve results then I would consider Rick's suggestion. A pal of mine rebuilt his chummy engine with similar problems and it transpired that the timing marks, such as they were, were in the wrong place on the gears.

If in doubt, compare with known good gears. I can email photos if reqd.

Rick Fryer
I had a similar problem recently with my 29 special. Having dismantled the engine to cure an oil leak I noticed a lot of backlash on the camshaft gears, so I sorted through my bag of bits and found two that meshed closer.

Although I eventually got the engine to fire, it would not run smoothly or pull well. like yours it had good(ish) compression. Working on the premise that I started with an engine that worked and now it didn't and the only thing I'd changed was the camshaft gear, I assumed I'd set the new gear with the timing marks misaligned. So I pulled the cover off and checked - dots aligned. I then got out the valve/cam/crankshaft diagram - whatever the proper name for that is - and compared the valve openings/dwells with the pistons. They were slightly out.

I then compared the fitted cam gear with the one I had replaced. The keyway/dots angle was about 170 degrees different! I always thought they were identical, although matched pairs. Obviously not. So, did you fit a new gear?

Rick

The only things I have replaces are New Phoenix crank and new oversize pistons. I assume the keyways in a Phoenix crank are in the same place as the original thus making valve timing correct if the dot timing marks are aligned correctly.

My son is coming over on Saturday to give me a hand. I may reluctantly have to try the towing method but with seven brakes as they are even adjusted correctly etc I am somewhat worried about stopping.

John Mason

Reading back through the comments, I realised that in fact I have changed something.
Trying to remove the nut on the front of the crankshaft I foolishly stopped the crankshaft from turning by jamming a piece of brass in the timing gears with the result that the crankshaft gear was damaged.
I obtained a replacement gear and fitted it being careful (I thought) to get the gears in the correct place for meshing.
I need to check that out but am working on another possible problem, namely that the fuel level in the carb bowl may be too low.
The engine has started on a number of occasions but died after a second or two.
Instead of continuing to hijack Johns posts, I think it might be better to start a new one called 'Rebuilt engine refuses to start and/or run'.

I have recently sorted out a bit of a brain teaser on a rebuilt engine. It started briefly but then would not restart, various popping etc. Re timed it and it fired but refused to run, rechecked timing fuel etc. decided on a push start, fired up for a second or two then stopped. Another push, kept seeming like it wanted to go, then no longer firing almost like the timing kept going out and then being correct again. The owner told me that he had replaced the dynamo distributer assy as a unit and the car had run perfectly well prior to the rebuild. However on removal of the distributer the drive gears were totally knackerd, after fitting a new gear in the end of the dynamo and swapping out the distributer the problem was solved. Just goes to show you can never make assumptions that something is correct or in good condition unless you have carefully checked it yourself.

PROGRESS REPORT. Today Saturday 23/4/16. I have managed to get the engine running although I had to use spray easy start. She ran well firing on all four although on a rather fast tick over. I can now be assured that both valve and ignition timing are ok although possibly a little fine tuning may be required with the dizzy once warmed up. I obviously still have some minor problems with the carb or manifold leaking air but at least I know where the problem lies.

THANK YOU EVERBODY FOR YOUR TIPS AND ADVICE.

John Mason