Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Rebuilt engine refuses to start

I had a similar problem recently with my 29 special. Having dismantled the engine to cure an oil leak I noticed a lot of backlash on the camshaft gears, so I sorted through my bag of bits and found two that meshed closer.

Although I eventually got the engine to fire, it would not run smoothly or pull well. like yours it had good(ish) compression. Working on the premise that I started with an engine that worked and now it didn't and the only thing I'd changed was the camshaft gear, I assumed I'd set the new gear with the timing marks misaligned. So I pulled the cover off and checked - dots aligned. I then got out the valve/cam/crankshaft diagram - whatever the proper name for that is - and compared the valve openings/dwells with the pistons. They were slightly out.

I then compared the fitted cam gear with the one I had replaced. The keyway/dots angle was about 170 degrees different! I always thought they were identical, although matched pairs. Obviously not. So, did you fit a new gear?

Rick

You have my every sympathy John, at least mine has been persuaded to run and even to allow a couple of test runs of about 3 miles each.
I have terrible problems getting the engine to run and keep running. I suspect the float chamber level and am looking at that at the moment. When running the engine pops and bangs for a bit but then settles down.
I still have a screeching noise at times despite a new set of brushes in the dynamo and a check on the bearings in the (rebuilt) dynamo but the bearing is a new sealed one and seems to be ok.
I must agree with others that ignition timing is probably the key to our problems but its not easy getting to a satisfactory starting (no pun intended) point to make final adjustments.

Rick Fryer
I had a similar problem recently with my 29 special. Having dismantled the engine to cure an oil leak I noticed a lot of backlash on the camshaft gears, so I sorted through my bag of bits and found two that meshed closer.

Although I eventually got the engine to fire, it would not run smoothly or pull well. like yours it had good(ish) compression. Working on the premise that I started with an engine that worked and now it didn't and the only thing I'd changed was the camshaft gear, I assumed I'd set the new gear with the timing marks misaligned. So I pulled the cover off and checked - dots aligned. I then got out the valve/cam/crankshaft diagram - whatever the proper name for that is - and compared the valve openings/dwells with the pistons. They were slightly out.

I then compared the fitted cam gear with the one I had replaced. The keyway/dots angle was about 170 degrees different! I always thought they were identical, although matched pairs. Obviously not. So, did you fit a new gear?

Rick

The only things I have replaces are New Phoenix crank and new oversize pistons. I assume the keyways in a Phoenix crank are in the same place as the original thus making valve timing correct if the dot timing marks are aligned correctly.

My son is coming over on Saturday to give me a hand. I may reluctantly have to try the towing method but with seven brakes as they are even adjusted correctly etc I am somewhat worried about stopping.

John Mason

Reading back through the comments, I realised that in fact I have changed something.
Trying to remove the nut on the front of the crankshaft I foolishly stopped the crankshaft from turning by jamming a piece of brass in the timing gears with the result that the crankshaft gear was damaged.
I obtained a replacement gear and fitted it being careful (I thought) to get the gears in the correct place for meshing.
I need to check that out but am working on another possible problem, namely that the fuel level in the carb bowl may be too low.
The engine has started on a number of occasions but died after a second or two.
Instead of continuing to hijack Johns posts, I think it might be better to start a new one called 'Rebuilt engine refuses to start and/or run'.

I have recently sorted out a bit of a brain teaser on a rebuilt engine. It started briefly but then would not restart, various popping etc. Re timed it and it fired but refused to run, rechecked timing fuel etc. decided on a push start, fired up for a second or two then stopped. Another push, kept seeming like it wanted to go, then no longer firing almost like the timing kept going out and then being correct again. The owner told me that he had replaced the dynamo distributer assy as a unit and the car had run perfectly well prior to the rebuild. However on removal of the distributer the drive gears were totally knackerd, after fitting a new gear in the end of the dynamo and swapping out the distributer the problem was solved. Just goes to show you can never make assumptions that something is correct or in good condition unless you have carefully checked it yourself.

PROGRESS REPORT. Today Saturday 23/4/16. I have managed to get the engine running although I had to use spray easy start. She ran well firing on all four although on a rather fast tick over. I can now be assured that both valve and ignition timing are ok although possibly a little fine tuning may be required with the dizzy once warmed up. I obviously still have some minor problems with the carb or manifold leaking air but at least I know where the problem lies.

THANK YOU EVERBODY FOR YOUR TIPS AND ADVICE.

John Mason