Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Car Trailer

Hi All,

I've been pondering a way to transport my Ulster Rep and would like to know how others transport their cars for long distances. I have thought about an open trailer, but the bugs and buffeting for a thousand miles wouldn't be kind to the car, even with a front dam. Enclosed cargo trailers here in the US are often in the 3500 lb. range, for just a 7 X 14 trailer. That seems a bit much for a car that barely weighs 700 lbs. What do others use? Perhaps an open trailer with an air dam AND a full car cover? Cost wise, I could almost buy a trailer for the cost of transporting across the US.

In warm, sunny, Seattle.

Re: Car Trailer

Loaded up and ready for the ferry tomorrow lunchtime. Bugs? Buffeting? Warm? Sunny? Not in the North of England

Steve

Where are you going? I. O. M? If so, good luck.

The bugs and buffeting would be no different to actually driving the car, it is after all what they were made for or is this a concourse show pony that never see's the road?

Not concours, at all, but there is a lot to clean after one trip...New York to Seattle. The other issue is protecting from prying eyes. Short distances the trailer above would be fine. But the car will likely be going longer distances on a regular basis. A rally in Northern Cali next year will mean trailering for 3000 miles, plus the rally of 1000 miles.

Alan
Where are you going? I. O. M? If so, good luck.

Yes, IoM. Looks like it might be a bit cool this year.

Steve

For long distances (1000 miles) we have taken to using a van. Initially rented a VW Crafter (alias Merc Sprinter) to contain my friend's Ulster + kit. It was such a success that, after renting it twice, we bought it. 130,000 miles on the clock but rather cheaper than a good secondhand Brian James Shuttle. Solves the security problem and very useful for other non motoring matters.

Regards, Stuart

Stuart, the van may be too much for me, but I'm curious as to how you get the car into it(meaning long ramps or a quick stop) and how you secure the car.

Best,

Erich

You need to build a replica of the Austin factory race trailer.

For a one off two scaffold planks, some blocks of wood suffice for loading.

To secure, front wheels against the bulkhead. Ratchet strap round the rear axle to the lashdown rings in the van floor at the back.

The Mercedes van is a popular option here. However driving one for 3,000 miles would be a test of spirit.
Call me a lush but I appreciate the air con, heated seats, audio system and genral comfort of my Volvo tow car

Charles

Hedd is correct. Long ramps which live under the car and most vans have fittings whereby you can fix the car down with ratchet straps. If it's your van you can drill holes in it. Come to think of it, I have known people who do that to hired vehicles...A worthwhile addition is an electric winch, even if you are not single handed. As I get older the winch moves from luxury to essential!

Obviously vans have running and storage costs. When we hired the Crafter we loaded the Ulster as Hedd describes. Worked fine and only mildly hazardous. When you consider the costs of a transcontinental trip, van hire becomes a relatively sensible component. If ferries are involved you may make significant savings with a van only versus car and trailer.

Charles, I am all for comfort but I honestly think driving the van is less stressful than towing, numb bum aside. I suspect radio and air con may be quite usual in American vans but Erich will enlighten us. A separate tow car is a handy thing at a circuit for local utility journeys if your race car is not road legal, of course, but it doesn't sound like Erich has that problem. I still vote van!

Regards,
Stuart

At this point we want Dave Williams to post some pictures of his luxury Sprinter conversion.
Car carrying van that converts into a comfortable camper. It helps that it was architect designed!

Charles

I wonder if the LWB crew cab (i.e. with rear seats and window) has enough length for a short chassis austin 7?
Presumably so...

Stuart, Sprinter vans are the norm here today, along with a Nissan that is similar. Trailers can be a PITA, but for the cost of licensing and insurance the trailer might be the best way to go with me. I'll be mostly on motorways anyway, and will rarely have to navigate downtown corridors. Does anyone use wheel chocks to help lock the cars in place? I also seen towing companies put loops of webbing over the wheels.

Best,

Erich

Hi Erich,

when towing I use four ratchet straps.

I triangulate each - the rear over the axle tubes either side of the diff and the front over the front axle beam either side of the damper brackets.

I don't use chocks and I don't like bracing over the wheels as I consider it will put undue load on the spokes, ultimately damaging them.

If my description is poor let me know and I will post photos.

Hi Ruairidh,

Thank you. What I picture from your description is a strap fixed to the floor at a point, leading over the axle and then back down to the floor, with perhaps a foot linear distance ahead of and behind the axle. Is this correct? What is your trailer set up like? Enclosed or open?

Best,

Erich

Stuart, it is rare for anything sold in the US today, or even the last thirty years, not to have air-conditioning, a radio, in the past a CD player, and before that a cassette player, electric windows, etc. When I bought my Chevy Astro Van new in 2000, I had to ask for hand crank windows as a special order. Even when my parents bought a Caddy in 1965, my dad had to request to not have air conditioning( he thought it a waste of time in the PNW.

Best,

Erich

Erich Volkstorf
Hi Ruairidh,

Thank you. What I picture from your description is a strap fixed to the floor at a point, leading over the axle and then back down to the floor, with perhaps a foot linear distance ahead of and behind the axle. Is this correct? What is your trailer set up like? Enclosed or open?

Best,

Erich

You have it correct.

My trailer is open.

Good luck.