Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Seen the 1930 Steel B-Type Coupe For Sale?

Hi
This Coupe has the standard Coupe longer scuttle, lower roof line, the lower dash with the cut out in the centre, and lowered seats. Originally there were no rear windows, these were added whilst the car was in Majorca, and were removed during the recent restoration work. As mentioned previously, this car has a standard saloon depth rear seat - the one on my car was 6" shallower.
Regards
Colin

The problem with a good story is that it gets passed verbally from generation to generation (or owner to owner), gradually acquiring improvements and embellishments along the way. This is what mythology is all about.

Eventually, it gets published and re-published, at which point it becomes "fact" - I read it, so it must be true.

I don't know what the truth is in this particular case. As far as I can make out, there was one original source for the story. I have no idea whether there is any first-hand documentary evidence to support it.

The Gaydon information quoted would seem to cast doubt on the story, rather than confirm it.

It wouldn't matter if a large amount of money wasn't involved. If the car is all that it's claimed to be then it could well be worth the asking price.

If it's a "bitser", assembled from a wrecked 1927 car, with some original and some B coupe body parts all brought together by the efforts and imagination of a Spanish coachbuilder, along with mechanical parts from a Fiat Topolino, it would struggle to be worth a third of that price.

We discussed another Spanish import a year or so ago with an equally-exciting history. This claimed to be a 1929 A7 van, a unique collaboration between Austin and Rosengart that had seen service in the Spanish Civil War. In reality, it appeared to be a Morris Minor chassis, fitted an Austin Seven engine and a post-war Spanish-built body.

Caveat emptor!

This is precisely the reason that I will only buy a car if I like it and can afford the asking price.

I could not give a monkeys if the Earl of March farted in it or if it the only model in existence, inflated values through provenance claims are for the greedy.

If you like it, buy it.

Never buy it without inspecting it personally.

I am not a gambler so buying to invest holds no interest to me either.

Ruairidh Dunford
This is precisely the reason that I will only buy a car if I like it and can afford the asking price.

I could not give a monkeys if the Earl of March farted in it or if it the only model in existence, inflated values through provenance claims are for the greedy.

If you like it, buy it.

Never buy it without inspecting it personally.

I am not a gambler so buying to invest holds no interest to me either.

Hi
It seems there is some real detective work to do on this one, then. Would be interesting. How hard is it to differentiate between 1930s British and Spanish steels? The steel plate used and fabrication methods could be compared with that of a UK car.

The value remains a separate issue - it is up to any potential buyer to decide what they are willing to offer for it having seen it and in the light of all the available information.
Regards
Colin

"in the light of all the available information"

I would think that this is the problem !

The fact that it appears in that compendium of often doubtful information The Source Book should give pause for thought, let alone the other very strange claims to 'fame' !!

Tony

Hi
The usual rules apply here - as any academic knows: There are primary sources - information created at the time that you can rely on - like the Gaydon records and other original documentation - and then there are other sources where varying degrees of judgement are required. Makes it interesting.
Regards
Colin

Colin Morgan
... Makes it interesting.
Regards
Colin

Agreed, and I think this car IS interesting; but I just don't believe the Longbridge prototype story. I think it's great that it has been restored as it is to preserve its Spanish history rather than trying to create a B-Type replica, but that doesn't put it into genuine B-Type territory value-wise!

I had a long conversation a couple of days ago with the owner of this car, who has had it for around forty years.

He stands by the car's history as previously outlined. He has original documentation pertaining to its import to Spain in 1927, but this gives nothing away as to the type of body then fitted.

He then has a couple of letters written by two previous Spanish owners in the 'seventies, containing their recollections of the car going back to the immediate post-war period.

Unfortunately, there is nothing first-hand covering the period around 1930 when the present body was fitted.

The wings currently fitted apparently date from the 'seventies or 'eighties, so are not of any help.

The square lower corners in the door windows were reputedly made by the Spanish coachbuilder when he cut out the similarly-shaped rear quarter windows (now filled in).

The number B-167 that was mentioned does not in fact have a "B" prefix and is the body number stamped into the top of the transmission tunnel.

The Source Book information and photo probably originate from contact between the current owner and Mr Purves in the 'seventies, when restoration of the car was discussed and so is unlikely to come from an independent source.

The owner has pointed out that the "Profile Publication - The Austin Seven" contains a drawing (probably C1970) showing a stretched coupe; this is indeed the case. He argues that as the proportions are very similar to those of his car and that the drawing may have been based on a period photo of it.

Dave Martin's article in the latest (2016B) Association Magazine provides some interesting snippets of information. From the Weekly Despatch Ledgers it seems pretty clear (well, to me anyway!) that B-Type coupe production ceased in September 1930. The last despatches were three cars on 27th September; the column allocated to the coupe has then been amended to read AVD Van and there are no more coupe entries... except there was a lone coupe despatched between January and May 1931.

Could this be the Spanish car? It seems odd that a 1927 car would be returned to the Works and be re-bodied with a non-standard item and then be recorded in the Despatch Ledger, but who knows?I have no doubt that the car has some coupe origins - the lower seating and steering arrangement are pure B-Type, but it seems a most ungainly look to it and doesn't fit at all with the current (1931) Austin style ...