Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: LED brake light bulbs

Dave Mann
I was also aware of how inadequate Austin 7 rear lights were and experienced many minor rear end bumps usually at traffic lights even with extra stop & tail lights mounted each side of the number plate. One of the main problems is they are below the line of sight of following drivers and the increased weight on the numberplate brackets led to cracking of the floor where they were attached.
In the end I settled for mounting LED trailer light units (from Towing & Trailers of Worksop)on a board clamped to the spare wheel, as per FIVA recommendation, they look horrendous but they resolved all the problems. However they are connected to the car by a trailer socket and can be removed at rallies in under a minute leaving the rear of the car "as built". Having spent many hours rebuilding the car and filling up holes in the wings I hate drilling holes in the body.

Another solution for indicators that don't require drilling holes or spoiling the appearance of the car at shows is to make up a set of indicators that are fitted with magnets and just "stick" them onto the 4 corners for road use. So as not to have even an indicator switch and buzzer and/or warning light fitted to the car, these (including an independent battery if required)can be completely self contained in a small box.

TA - TC Series MGs also have stop/tail lights too close to the ground. A sensible solution is to fit a higher level lamp - even fitting with straps onto the spare wheel, which I did on an Austin 12/4 some years back. Only downside of LED bulbs as stoplights is their much whiter light.

Single file on narrow roads eah? Like we ever see that!
I'm going to contact this firm (mentioned at top of subject) after the bank holiday & discuss my situation with them, hopefully we will come up with a good solution, after which I'll report back, but in the meantime, thankyou all for your input & advice on the matter

photo 0065.jpg photo 0073.jpg photo 004-1.jpg

The black car is OK with the lights but it's 12v and I felt safer commuting through Sheffield than I would have done with the blue car which is 6v and hasn't got LED bulbs. Not to everyone's taste but I don't think they are too ugly!
Dave.

Austin Carr
Another solution for indicators that don't require drilling holes or spoiling the appearance of the car at shows is to make up a set of indicators that are fitted with magnets and just "stick" them onto the 4 corners for road use.

great idea! Anyone got any actual examples of this being done?

Some years ago I saw an RN with teddy bears ears indicators mounted on magnets and felt stuck to the roof with the wires going through the sunshine roof.

Dave Mann
Some years ago I saw an RN with teddy bears ears indicators mounted on magnets and felt stuck to the roof with the wires going through the sunshine roof.

Of course so called 'teddy bear' indicators were the well tried and preferred solution in the days when impecunious students went to college in their A7s. I looked for some a while back but couldn't find any...but then I din't know they were called 'teddy bear'.

A fellow member of the Chester Vintage Enthusiasts Car Club has them on his Ford Model Y. I'm not a fan personally I think a vintage car should just be what it is, you wouldn't fit air bags to it.
It's very presence on the road causes others to have their attention drawn to it & with hands being thrust through windows they are alerted to the fact that your about to do something.
My problem is not one of signaling a change in direction, but more of an intention to stop. I, like you all, slow with the gears, but it's a good idea to at least tell the person behind what Im doing

Ed Quayle
A fellow member of the Chester Vintage Enthusiasts Car Club has them on his Ford Model Y. I'm not a fan personally I think a vintage car should just be what it is, you wouldn't fit air bags to it.
It's very presence on the road causes others to have their attention drawn to it & with hands being thrust through windows they are alerted to the fact that your about to do something.
My problem is not one of signaling a change in direction, but more of an intention to stop. I, like you all, slow with the gears, but it's a good idea to at least tell the person behind what Im doing

Having followed cars with inadequate indicators I have to say that I'd rather use hand signals, it's all weird enough for modern motorists to pay special attention to the nutter flapping his arms around. That said, with the top down I'll signal left with my left arm, or if I have a passenger a shout of 'left turn Clyde' adds to the fun. I'm not so happy with the flappy arm turning left with the roof up as it seems to be mistaken for 'please pass'. I'm not sure I'd feel the same in a closed car.

As we seem to have drifted a bit from brake lights to indicators-from our cherished supplier you can get self-flashing LEDs which will fit inside semaphore arms.They did need a bit of fettling to get them to fit in,but I understand Peter can now supply thinner ones 6 or 12 volt.They do seem to draw the attention of Eurobox drivers and are a good solution for those of us for whom the drilling of holes in our little friends is unacceptable.Usual disclaimer!

richard wyatt
As we seem to have drifted a bit from brake lights to indicators-from our cherished supplier you can get self-flashing LEDs which will fit inside semaphore arms.They did need a bit of fettling to get them to fit in,but I understand Peter can now supply thinner ones 6 or 12 volt.They do seem to draw the attention of Eurobox drivers and are a good solution for those of us for whom the drilling of holes in our little friends is unacceptable.Usual disclaimer!

I have 6v flashing LED's in my semaphore indicators ( 1937Opal ) -- they work well when properly earthed. As modern drivers don't always see them and they are severely compromised on roundabouts I am about to fit a flashing LED system to front side lights and rear lights i.e. retaining original fittings and not visibly altering originality. I will then have a dual system to play with as appropriate!

Charles

Hi Dave. Love your led lights on your trailer board fitted over the spare. I have been thinking of a similar idea. Are you on 12 volts as can't find any trailer lights on 6 volt. I was thinking of using a DC/DC converter to go to 12 volts for just the rear lights as should be possible with the low current draw of the LCDs. Ron

Yes Ron I'm on 12 volts, a conversion I did 35 years ago one of the reasons being the difficulty in getting 6 volt flashers to flash consistently. I used my car to commute to work in Manchester then and I didn't fancy relying on hand signals in the dark. However now that we have LEDs for just about everything I have thought about going back to 6 volt.