Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Supersports.

If you look closely at the tail of the car there appears to a white outline of a roundel for a competition number. All competing cars in 1928 had to carry full weather equipment and needed to be taxed if driven to and from the Ards circuit as most if not all were.
Simon Thomas
Comber
County Down

Mr Barnes was clearly a very small man but his riding mechanic was even smaller, he is not visible at all!

Nice one Malcolm!!!

Bill G

Simon Thomas
If you look closely at the tail of the car there appears to a white outline of a roundel for a competition number. All competing cars in 1928 had to carry full weather equipment and needed to be taxed if driven to and from the Ards circuit as most if not all were.
Simon Thomas
Comber
County Down

Hi Simon,

Would the wings and probably headlamps be removed for racing then.

As the number is hidden by the rear wing otherwise.

Tony.

Sadly I could see no assistance to the question in Austin's display of great photos.
Re Simon's suggestion about the number roundel - because the race car's was different in that it was mounted right near the end of the tail, the roundel came down further onto either side. And where is the roundel on the scuttle top and side? (It came down nearly to the top of the muffler). And where has the pump (or maybe it's a fire extinguisher?) gone? No, I'm inclined to think they selected a vaguely similar car for the publicity shot & possibly dubbed in another (slightly smaller) photo of Barnes, because in the race he sat quite higher in the car. And Tony - no, the car ran with full equipment and the rear roundel was well away from the wings. Cheers, Bill in Oz

Bill Sheehan
Sadly I could see no assistance to the question in Austin's display of great photos.
Re Simon's suggestion about the number roundel - because the race car's was different in that it was mounted right near the end of the tail, the roundel came down further onto either side. And where is the roundel on the scuttle top and side? (It came down nearly to the top of the muffler). And where has the pump (or maybe it's a fire extinguisher?) gone? No, I'm inclined to think they selected a vaguely similar car for the publicity shot & possibly dubbed in another (slightly smaller) photo of Barnes, because in the race he sat quite higher in the car. And Tony - no, the car ran with full equipment and the rear roundel was well away from the wings. Cheers, Bill in Oz

In 1928 the Austin for the TT was garaged at R.J.Hooke and Sons garage in Bangor, County Down. A "T" or spare/practice car was also housed there. I have a photograph of both cars outside the garage showing the race car registration number clearly but not so the "T" car. If anyone can make out the registration number on the first post I will say if it is the one in my photograph. Interestingly I still have a little brass Hooke's dashboard badge from my first Austin Seven in 1970. No room for it on the dashboard of the Ulster.
Simon
Comber
County Down

Simon,
that is very interesting. Would you consider posting the pictures on the forum please.
Best regards,
Robert.

I just came across this in an old clipping.

"Mr. J. D. Barnes, whose Austin "Seven" did not finish the first lap, was also protested by other drivers, for being of small stature, as was his mechanic, which they claim resulted in an unfair advantage."

Just kidding. "although for Barnes'one lap, hood held forward by straps, screen left folded down". I noted that in a post several months ago, there was a discussion of a photograph of works cars with hoods but aero screens and a question of a fitting on the off side scuttle. The fitting may have been for straps to hold the hood down. Driving with the hood up and the screen down would seem to produce a lot of drag.

Best,

Erich in Sunny Seattle

Erich - sorry if I confused you. Competitors had to do at least one lap with the hood erected and "for Barnes' one lap, hood held down with straps" etc I did not mean to imply he only did one lap, in fact he was flagged off after 23 laps. How he got that far with the damage sustained is surprising. Also, I hope you understand that the "hood" as in your part of the world was not the bonnet! (jesting). I'm sure you're right re the drag, but be assured the scuttle-side fitting was not for the hood straps - it's obviously a cylinder with a handle on top. As Robert suggested, the car would probably have had a larger tank, and there's good reason to believe it would be pressured. Another point - it has been suggested that Barnes used the upswept part from this car's damaged scuttle to add to his racing Chummy, the one later called "Earthquake" which later again ran at Le Mans. Cheers, Bill in Oz

Hi Bill,

Thanks for clarifying. I had understood that the diminutive Mr. Barnes had only completed one lap, Judging from the damage he sustained, he was pretty game. With regards to the hood, I imagine straps angled forward and at each side, similar to really antique cars(Thomas Flyer) and it would seem to create a sort of sail(from a sailor). The speed in the first lap could not have been very fast. I've also heard that the requirements included starting by the starter, not hand crank. It would seem to be a race, but also a reliability trial,l as I have read.

Erich, in still sunny Seattle.

Little wonder the driver looks a little furtive. Having swallowed a shrink potion he is probably apprehensive about the antidote. Or has someone removed the seat cushion?

Austins used the shrink trick for years . There are adverts for the A90 Atlantic convertible with pygmies aboard.

A different approach was adopted for the photo which appears in the Brookland Book..Austin Seven in the Thirties p57. It appears a jockey was used, so small he could not find a cap to fit.

Bob - Not sure anyone else but you would think that Barnes looks furtive. Re the Grasshopper photo, the answer was probably the seat removed only, if that, as the subject was not a jockey. Although thin, he was broad-shouldered and when he drove in the Grasshopper Trials team he looked considerably bigger because of the extra clothing and an overcoat. As usual, you should have done some homework before writing, as that style of baggy cap was the fashion of the day. The Trials team, including the Le Mans team, from Bill Sewell down mostly wore them and if you care to look at most photos of the spectators at Trials, many males wore one. Disappointing comments really, as what Robert requested was more Supersports photos. Cheers, Bill in Oz

Here's a great photograph of Dr Bennett racing his supersports at Silverstone in the 1950's. I was fortunate to know Dr Bennett personally as he was my GP for a number of years. He said that the car when discovered was badged as a Rosengart. Also he could take on and beat a Bugatti Brescia.

Dr Bennett's supersports at Silverstone

A great shot, Robert. If it wasn't for the racing number and the position of the registration label (and the Doc's shirtsleeves), one would think at first that it's the same photo as in Bill Williams' book. For those not aware, this car was featured by Barrie Argent in an Association Grey Mag article. Hopefully more photos of this model will come to light eventually. Good Luck with your project. Cheers, Bill in Oz

Just as an aside.

Last week Tom and I went to help with some sorting at the Fr*z*r N*sh Archives and as usual I was the first of us to use the toilet. The door of the Gents was indicated by a photo with "Archie's team" as the caption. It was of the TT Austin team members and was clear and sharp. It showed from left to right J.D. Barnes; Archie Frazer Nash, and Gunnar Poppe with Arthur Waite as team manager in a coat and trilby hat behind them.

Barnes was the same height as Archie, and not that much shorter than Poppe so this leads me to believe that the early photos were cut and pasted with a tiny Mr Barnes added to the cockpit on an empty car. Not the first time we have seen cut and paste Austin photos (e.g see the Mille Miglia photo thread).