Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Additional Voltage Regulator

I wonder if any of the electric gurus can help? My regulator seems to push out periodically way over 12 volts. This has not been a problem in the past, until I fitted an electric rev counter which blew up ( the manufacturer is sending it back with a voltage regulator fitted) and now I've switched from filament bulbs to LED bulbs and light boards.
All works perfectly except the LED flasher unit which blows when the engine is running. Obviously being overloaded. How do I build/buy a regulator to fit in line to prevent this happening?
I should mention that this is for the Riley, not the 7 which has converted to LED without problem.
Any help much appreciated!
David.

Re: Additional Voltage Regulator

David,Forget additional regulator. I recommend the regulator from Dave Lindsley ,the cost in 2010 was £106.& includes instructions on dynamo mods (converting to two brush) very easy.A lot cheaper than fitting non standard looking parts.The only visual difference is the dynamo brush cover which I changed for some fine wire mesh to aid cooling. The regulator fitted under the dash out of sight. Look at the D.L. site here http://www.davelindsley.co.uk/jg-electronic-regulators.html
Mine has worked with no trouble for six years and counting.

Re: Additional Voltage Regulator

David B
I wonder if any of the electric gurus can help? My regulator seems to push out periodically way over 12 volts.
David.

I'm not familiar with your regulator but puzzled as to how it could put out way over 12v if it remains firmly connected to the battery. It might try to go over 14v but I imagine the resulting current demand would tax the dynamo. I wonder if there is an intermittent connection somewhere and the feed to the rev counter is taken of the regulator side of the break rather than across the battery terminals. A fuseholder would be a likely suspect. It would be interesting to know if the overvoltage last for a viewable length of time or if they are just glitches.
BTW...Step-up step-down dc>dc regulators are cheaply available on eBay..Roger