Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: SU Needles

Yes there is a lot there I have looked.

Well I would have thought you have your starting point for the current carb, although being weak on a number 6 is a surprise. Have a look at the SU needle book or use Minty lamb and make adjustments from where you currently are. What type of piston is fitted, ie weighted or unweighted, have you also fitted a spring, if so which one. Personally I would say a 1" SU is a tad small for your application although we don't know the full engine spec. An AN needle is generally a good start in a small bore SU on a std or mildly tuned car, on a more highly tuned engine 1 1/4" SU with blue spring and number 5 needle would be a good place to begin. Obviously there are so many variables that what suits one engine may be way off for another.
Edit, have just realized you said M6 not number 6, in which case if you are currently lean an AN will be no help.

Thanks for the reply Ian. The thought was that the carb was a little small but exploring all avenues.

I find that the 1 1/8" SU is better than the 1". I use an AN needle, a GG needle is also good.

Thanks for that that would be the next best choice if the 1 " won't perform.