Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Seat Air Cushions

I agree, l've been using Purvis' replacement air cushions for the past 5 years in my RK and they are really good. No more sore bums!

Adrian,

"The foam ones I have squash after about an hour and become uncomfortable. Is air cushions the only way to go or do I need different foam? Maybe I'll speak to some suppliers at Beaulieu this weekend."

From the days when we were getting seat cushions made for kitchen chairs there was a 'high density' foam which didn't squash- possibly similar still available.

Tony.

Adrian - If the air cushions prove too expensive for your taste, try Tony's high density foam. You only need an inch or 1/12" of it together with the cheaper ordinary foam you're using. Did a lot of mileage in New Zealand & Oz in a '25 Chummy (recall over 50 000 miles) with no sign of sag. Good Luck, Cheers, Bill in Oz

Bill Sheehan
Adrian - If the air cushions prove too expensive for your taste, try Tony's high density foam. You only need an inch or 1/12" of it together with the cheaper ordinary foam you're using. Did a lot of mileage in New Zealand & Oz in a '25 Chummy (recall over 50 000 miles) with no sign of sag. Good Luck, Cheers, Bill in Oz

Hello Bill -- are we talking about sag in the cushion?

Have good memories of meeting you in Melbourne a few years ago.

Charles

Charles - how stupid of me, your name before didn't ring a bell - if that's what names are supposed to do! Since our time together, have moved from the big smoke - is your daughter still there? Re your question - I've been quoted before as having done two trips to Adelaide (each over 1000 miles return) within a week and feeling fitter than when same trip done in a company Ford Falcon, due as much to the shape of the Chummy seats. A six footer may have a different theory! These days I know exactly where the sag will be. Cheers, Bill in Oz

Many thanks for all your suggestions. I may see Tony at Beaulieu.
Adrian.

Bill Gardner
Pretty certain Riley 9's used air cushions as well

Bill G

They did, as also did many more quality cars of the thirties - Lagonda (Ranalagh body) and Talbot (Van den Plas) to my certain knowledge.

....and the trick with air cushions is not to over-inflate.

From page 64 of the August 1934 handbook;

When I bought my cushions from Bryan Purves, his advice was to half inflate them. Otherwise they will be very uncomfortable, i.e. rock hard.

And at half inflation the sitting position will be much lower than with a full blown seat or with a normal foam/padding cushion.

Henry Harris
....and the trick with air cushions is not to over-inflate.

From page 64 of the August 1934 handbook;

Excellent advice -- seems to cover birth control as well as breath control?

Charles. Rural Norfolk

Well now, that goes a long way to explaining your family of 16 children. Or is that NFN ?(for those not familiar with this shorthand Normal For Norfolk, often found on medical records)

Oxford Jack
Well now, that goes a long way to explaining your family of 16 children. Or is that NFN ?(for those not familiar with this shorthand Normal For Norfolk, often found on medical records)

Hmmm!
ice, treading, thin, on, 🤔
springs to mind 😃👍

Geoff - Compressor pressure switch FUBAR 😡

Oxford Jack

Hello Jack -- I ran out of breath after the third and am still trying to get second wind.

PS don't feel you have to respond to this, please!

Charles.

My '34 RP still has its original float-on-air cushions which show no signs of perishing. All still hold the air well, although I have had to replace the plugs as they went hard and brittle and I now use the rubber bungs as fitted to lilos. There's no question of them not being the originals, as the car's been in the family from new (me for 36 years, father for 20 years and prior to that his uncle owned it from new).

I am amazed that they have survived so well and have often wondered whether there are other cars are out there still with their original cushions in use.

Rod