Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Battery AH

If using the internet, make sure you deal with a reputable company who will send the battery dry charged with a separate acid pack.

I ordered a bargain exide battery which came wrapped literally round with bubble wrap in a larger cardboard box. Unlabelled, as sending acid products is prohibited, it was not kept upright by the courier so arrived having lost half its acid en route. Unwrapping splashed and ruined a pair of trousers but at least I didn't get on my skin or eyes

Beware!

P.S. Early MGBs use two 421 batteries so if your local supplier doesn't have austin 7 on their list ask them to try MGB!

I think if the battery is hidden away you can't beat the one you've ordered especially at the price it's on offer at. I've purchased several and one has transformed the ease of starting of my 1933 2-Seat Tourer and they seem to have a reasonably long life. One has lasted over 5 years now. If the battery was for a Nippy or Speedy where it was 'on show' under the bonnet, I might have second thoughts and opt for a rubber walled one. James

I can also recommend the Exide 80 ah battery. During my recent lay up of my Ruby which took just about a year before I was back on the road many so called experts on this forum told me my battery would be sulpherd up and useless telling me to ditch it and buy a new one. I was not convinced and gave it a charge with my state of the art charger. The battery is as good as ever it was and holds a good charge. So much for the so called experts I would have no problem in buying another if I ever want a battery again. The only draw back is for people who like original looking things. This exide has a plastic case not rubber.

John Mason.

John,
Glad to hear that your battery is O.K.
A bit harsh on those "So called experts" the ones who have helped you continuously over the last 12 months with your engine build and subsequent starting problems. A bit ingenuous to my mind.

They possibly suggested that from experience the battery may have sulphated after twelve months - remember this is a voluntary forum and you do not have to subscribe if you feel incorrect free advice is offered.

Tony.

John Mason
I can also recommend the Exide 80 ah battery. During my recent lay up of my Ruby which took just about a year before I was back on the road many so called experts on this forum told me my battery would be sulpherd up and useless telling me to ditch it and buy a new one. I was not convinced and gave it a charge with my state of the art charger. The battery is as good as ever it was and holds a good charge. So much for the so called experts I would have no problem in buying another if I ever want a battery again. The only draw back is for people who like original looking things. This exide has a plastic case not rubber.

John Mason.

Yes upon reflection I was a bit harsh on others forum members. I have come to realise however that I trust some members (no names no pack drill) more than others. I do accept that all advice given is well meant although occasionally not always correct..

John Mason

I can highly recommend a 13 plate heavy duty 6v battery from Lincon Batteries in Leigh on Sea. Good price, excellent mail order service, plenty of power. I try to keep it on a conditioner, but often forget as the car gets lots of use. I have just fitted the third in our car, the previous two having lasted 5 years each. Eventually they get sluggish on frosty mornings. W

The Halfords 12v one in my A7 is now still functioning as normal after 13 years. I charge it with the Lidl intelligent charger. The 12v system in the car has a Seven Workshop solid state regulator. The battery has got to pack up soon surely.
Dave.