Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Barn Find Speedy

Points of interest:
Speedy no.1 didn't change hands in 2009. The owner preferred to keep it and still has it.
One owner was recently offered £40k for his.
There are two replicas; one finished and will be at Beaulieu this year and the other, in Japan, still under construction.
Also Speedy bodies are aluminium with steel wings and bonnet.
Still very exciting that there may now be 17 Speedys.

Marginally better / slightly clearer photo of the Speedy just posted on Herefordshire Auctions Facebook page together with the 'Barn Find' 1927 Chummy.

The '1930 Austin Seven TT' also mentioned above as being featured in the auction is on the Chassis Register as a 1931 registered Ulster Rep Special - HVA's estimate being £17,000 to £19,000.

Jeff.

Location: Almost but not quite, the far North East of England

looks like the owner only had one tin of paint...

hi jonE,

is that rust coloured or bashed and battered colour

more photos up!

http://www.hvauctions.com/Motor_details.php?motor=159_05.jpg&pid=159&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hvauctions.com%2Fmotor_list.php

"The Speedy comes with some of its instruments, including the almost impossible to find speedometer/rev-counter"

oooh - gonna be a good auction!

JonE

..."The Speedy comes with some of its instruments, including the almost impossible to find speedometer/rev-counter"...

... and also two pressure-fed crankcases - or is that the original engine AND two crankcases!?!

Given the price that the boat-tailed two-seater recently fetched, this is going to be expensive!

As with the Boat Tailed car the DVLA hurdle must be jumped with the Speedy. No documents is not a good start.

The boattail has half a chance of getting A or even its original number back. As it had an old tax disc with it.

The speedy will probably be impossible to get its original reg back. The next owner will have to cross his fingers for an age related number. 1950s numbers I think?

Tony.

Re: Barn Find Speedy &DVLA

You can't get to retain an old registration number, on the
Strength of an old Tax disc , or even an old MOT ( those that do not have a Vin or ch no on it). You need the logbook or some other actual period documentation which ties the chassis no to the registration no.

I know !!! Even though I recently had the car, Club inspected , had an 1977 MOT and tax disc, plus a receipt from the original authority that all the car's reg files had been transferred to the relevant authority in Scotland. DVLA said I had not "proved the link between the chassis and the reg no " . The Manager I spoke to said she was" powerless as that was a strictly observed rule"

Barn finds with NO Paperwork will struggle to save their registration numbers IMHO. Age related for them I think!

Regards

Bill G

Older and wiser after weeks of dealing with DVLA

Hi bill,

Won't argue, as I can't be arsed.

Also the DVLA don't know left from right at the momment.

I've had several dealings with them recently. Even conformation with managers. And they still don't do what they suggest.

They have asked for old tax discs, mots etc. But still it don't meen they will give what they suggest.

The boat tail is tricky as austin didn't stamp the chassis number on the chassis. Only the bulkhead plates.

So the DVLA won't find anything on the chassis anyway.

Tony.

PS I should have added that if your original Registration Authority had archived its registration records to a county Museums Service, or to the Kithead Trust you might be able to prove the link between ch no and reg no.

But that's a Postcode Lottery as only fraction of them did that.

Bill G

Mike Costigan
JonE

..."The Speedy comes with some of its instruments, including the almost impossible to find speedometer/rev-counter"...

... and also two pressure-fed crankcases - or is that the original engine AND two crankcases!?!

Given the price that the boat-tailed two-seater recently fetched, this is going to be expensive!

Odd that professional auctioneers can be so utterly rubbish at making sale price estimates.
It might attract punters but it's very stupid.

Charles

If I had money I would buy it, and be quite happy to pay over the cost of a complete restored car! It is substantially complete, reasonably unadulterated, and where else will you find a time warp Speedy to restore. Having said that I have the skills to restore it without needing to farm out the work, and I would not want a car restored by others. I also don't get quite so hung up on registration numbers as most.

Tony
Hi bill,

The boat tail is tricky as austin didn't stamp the chassis number on the chassis. Only the bulkhead plates.

Tony.

The chassis of the Boat Tailed car should at that date have the chassis number stamped on the near side rail behind the rear engine mounting.

Charles P
Mike Costigan
JonE

Odd that professional auctioneers can be so utterly rubbish at making sale price estimates.
It might attract punters but it's very stupid.

Charles

It's intentional. They know it will fetch an astronomical price but a low estimate brings in punters.

Hello from the town of Prizren in Kosovo, by the way.

I shall be at the auction on Thursday as I am also interested in the bicycles.

HVA have confirmed that one can view the bikes and cars during the Automobilia auction. I have no interest in sitting through the first 900+ lots !!

On a different subject, the 750MC are to congratulated on a superb rally at Beaulieu yesterday. A wonderful range of cars + the display of racers.
Thanks to all.

John Edwards
Tony
Hi bill,

Tony.

The chassis of the Boat Tailed car should at that date have the chassis number stamped on the near side rail behind the rear engine mounting.

hi john, were did you get this info from.

tony

Tony

It is mentioned in this document when the chassis number was on the chassis.

http://a7ca.org/downloads/QuoteThisNumber.pdf

Tony
Hi bill,

Tony.

Hi Douglas,

I've re-read myself a couple of times now just to see if what I sead originally made sence.

Please read my quote above.

Including the boat tail in the auction this is the third BOAT TAIL, I've seen with NO NO NO number stamped on the chassis.

The chassis number is ONLY stamped on the bulkhead plate.

My comment to what the DVLA would make of it if they viewed the car, as they wont give a REG number unless these things match up.

my comment to someone knowing we're the chassis number should be, is perhaps they are better informed. Other than what I've seen with own eyes.

I think after 24 years of handling two thirds of the country's austin 7 spares and cars, Ive found were austin useually stamped the chassis

Sometimes in three different places on the same chassis. Or in two places in two different font sizes. But thats probably the result of a b0llaking from the Forman.

Tony.

Hi Tony

I was is not my intention to tell you that you are wrong or that I have greater knowledge. I was just pointing to the only document I am aware of which talks through the chassis number locations, which I thought John may also have read, as it mentions that in the early 30's it was stamped behind the engine. As your question was "were did you get this from".

I suppose I thought your reply might be "I had forgotten about that document" but I suppose you are now saying you are aware of that document of course but it is not 100% correct.

Not to worry, let see what happens at this auction!!!

Hi Douglas,

No harm ment, that's why I put the smiley face on.

Must admit, I rearly read a book. Being a bit thick. And lack of time of course.

That may even be never read a book.

All my knowledge is from, the cars and parts that have past through my hands.

The hands on knowledge, is far more accurate than anything that's been put into print.

If you are there Thursday, it could be well worth the entertainment value on its own.

Tony.

come to think of it, if you are going, Chris or others, can you perhaps take a video of the progression of that lot on your phone and upload it to youtube? I guarantee it will get hits!!

make of it what you will.

the speedy sold for £12k plus fees.

the chummy remains sold for £2k plus fees.

tony

tony betts
make of it what you will.

the speedy sold for £12k plus fees.

the chummy remains sold for £2k plus fees.

tony

At £12k it was cheaper than I would have thought.

The chummy remains were not a bad buy

Charles

gosh.

so, of those future owners who expressed a preference for gnarly time-consuming restorations, boat-tails are 33% more desirable than Speedies. (Oops sorry; forgot that SPARE scalloped crankcase value to take off the purchase price...)

so did the Chummy actually have a chassis? Difficult to tell from their photos...

Does anyone know who bought the Speedy? Seems like a good price.

Nice to know for the Speedy Register.

Martin (Speedy Register Registrar)

the new owner was the under bidder on the boattail.

just a quess, but i dont think he really seems to know what he has actually bought

would have liked to have had a bid myself, but i have other commitments.

when i got home, tracy replied. i thought you would have had a go at that price.

if i had bought it, and sed to here we now own a speedy. the reply would have been, were the hell is that going to go

tony.

I think the Chummy remains fetched £2,400 + fees which I thought expensive seeing it was complete mishmash of parts, not all of which came from the same car. I believe it was bought by the same buyer as the Speedy, a dealer from Devon whose name I did not get but with whom I had a long chat before the car section. Although he admitted he was relatively new to Sevens he seemed to know exactly what he was proposing to buy but had some strange ideas as to what he was going to do with it to get it back on the road. We shall see!

Tony
Tony
Hi bill,

Tony.

Hi Douglas,

I've re-read myself a couple of times now just to see if what I sead originally made sence.

Please read my quote above.

Including the boat tail in the auction this is the third BOAT TAIL, I've seen with NO NO NO number stamped on the chassis.

The chassis number is ONLY stamped on the bulkhead plate.

My comment to what the DVLA would make of it if they viewed the car, as they wont give a REG number unless these things match up.

my comment to someone knowing we're the chassis number should be, is perhaps they are better informed. Other than what I've seen with own eyes.

I think after 24 years of handling two thirds of the country's austin 7 spares and cars, Ive found were austin useually stamped the chassis

Sometimes in three different places on the same chassis. Or in two places in two different font sizes. But thats probably the result of a b0llaking from the Forman.

Tony.

Can anyone clarify the stamping/s position?
I have an earlyish 1930 RK with the number stamped in front of the rear engine mount and a late 1930 car with the number behind the rear engine mount.Are they both correct? I asked this question a while ago but only received one reply.

http://a7ca.org/downloads/QuoteThisNumber.pdf
I presume you have seen this, AITS?

No I hadn't Jon.Agree with the earlier 1927ish numbering of chassis and engine no's in the middle of the engine mounts,and the early 1930's with stamping behind the rear but it doesn't show any with the chassis number just in front of the rear mount,(Which on my car is definitely original)

Austin in the shed

Can anyone clarify the stamping/s position?
I have an earlyish 1930 RK with the number stamped in front of the rear engine mount and a late 1930 car with the number behind the rear engine mount.Are they both correct? I asked this question a while ago but only received one reply.

Dave

September 1930 still just ahead of the rear engine mount.
You now need to find a Dec 1930 car to check

Charles

Dave/Charles:

November 1930 here. Number behind the rear N/S engine mount. Also Jan 1931, with number in the same place.

Steve

Thanks for that Charles/Steve,my December 1930 registered car has the number behind the rear engine mount.

Hi all

October 1930, just in front of the rear engine mount.