Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: How heavy is a 1933 box Saloon?

Of course with that said I would encourage him to try driving the car to them instead!

I weighed my RK fabric which the book says is 8-1/2cwt and it's actually 10 so I should think a 33 box is a bit more than 10-1/2.
It's easy to weigh Austin sevens using bathroom scales. Weigh each wheel individually with a spacer same thickness as the scales under the other wheel on the same axle. Then add up the 4 wrights measured.

presumably you have to drive on sideways otherwise you wouldnt be able to see the little scale window...

Jack the axle up, put the scales under one wheel, spacer under the other then let the car down onto the scales.

After I rebuilt our RN saloon in 2001 I put it on the public weighbridge, which was big enough for HGVs and would have accommodated about a dozen Sevens, it was 600Kg with me, a full tank of fuel and the usual spares and tools on board.

Now we have to guess how heavy or light Dave Mann weighs! (I hope you don't need a weighbridge to weigh yourself each time!) Incidentally Dave, the 1930 fabric saloon (ex Longbridge, ex New Zealand) from which I gave you details many, many years ago :- did you ever find any further trace of it? If you remember - the owner here in Melbourne was to fabric-cover it himself after I'd restored the metal (including a new floorpan) and woodwork, but I've heard nothing of it since, and can't find the owner's address. Cheers, Bill in Oz

600Kg with me = 11.8 hundredweight.

10 stone = 1.25 hundredweight.

Car weighs 10.55 cwt

Tony

Tony is spot on, no I never did find that 1930 fabric saloon Bill.