Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Gearbox oil

Duncan, Are you getting any clutch slip as this is one of the symptoms of over filling the gear box. My advice would be to under fill rather than over fill with oil. But check level regularly. I was told with my Ruby 4 speed box to fill to about 1/2 inch below the oil filler hole. Engine oil of 20/50 grade is ok for your gear box here in the UK.

John Mason

There should be a thin gasket between the screwed down cover that retains the spring/lever and the top of the gearbox it screws down onto. If missing, oil will leak as you describe whatever you do.

Don't ask me how I know this!

Steve

See clutch slip thread of August 2015 and Vince Leek's comment and mine of 8 August 2015.

Thanks for that, I''ll check the gasket which I'm pretty sure is missing. No sign of clutch slip so far but I'll follow up the article

Having read those posts I certainly will not be adding 1 1/2 pints of oil!

2/3rds of a pint in a 4 speeder (400ml). My box suffered the same problem until I made a seal out of gasket paper. Much better now.

The gasket seems to have cured the escape problem. Thanks again.