Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Box Saloons

I got involved in Sevens with a late 1932 RP saloon, in 1959. The term Top Hat has been widely misapplied especially by some traders in recent years. It was used in relation to the early saloons with narrow front opening doors, and had a higher roof than the later cars, supposedly enabling the wearing of a top hat while driving. Personally I suspect that it would only be true for someone of short stature. The later vintage saloon was designated by the works as Wydoor, having wide rear opening doors with a curved edge over the rear wheel arch. The Top Hat term may not have been used by the works.
I hope this adds clarity to a bit of the story, rather than confusion!

Robert

Robert Leigh
The later vintage saloon was designated by the works as Wydoor, having wide rear opening doors with a curved edge over the rear wheel arch. The Top Hat term may not have been used by the works.

'Top Hat' and 'wide-door' (not 'Wydoor' which was a coachbuilt version, I think by Granville Motors) were never official Austin Motor Co names. What we now refer to as R-Type and RK-Type were usually referred to as just 'saloon', or occasionally as 'coachbuilt saloon' (to differentiate from the fabric saloon). Even back in the early 1960s there was much disagreement as to whether the late Vintage (ie alloy-bodied wide-door model) should be called 'Top Hat', but everyone was in agreement that the steel saloons, short or long wheelbase, were all 'box saloons'.

I never heard my father refer to a Seven by its model letters, I'm not sure he even knew them! But if he referred to a 32 saloon, he meant a lwb car even if made in 1931. The model year, qualified by body style if necessary.
That was pretty well the practice I knew until I left the UK, only returning to Seven interest via the Internet to find people conversing in codes I still don't entirely understand.