Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Rear crank bearing housing

Need help please.

Video shows my dilemma, plus problem.

Geoff - Progress so will update my thread

Re: Rear crank bearing housing

I have always found that the housing can be driven out from within. With the sump and filter removed it is possible to get a short drift in and with care drive the housing out. A hot air gun applied to the crankcase helps a lot.

Nothing found so far is unusual! Many past owners had very few tools.

Can you retap the puller holes? Possibly Loctite or similar been used.Lotsa crankcase heat a start. If you can pull out the roller cage more scope for pullers etc. Second hand housings not rare (altho true round ones are!)

If the crank passes crack test the shaft must be recovered without high temp.
(For those with lathes and patience and attached to their pennies seems scope for sleeving and using a cheaper metric bearing.)

Thank you Jim & Bob.
Lathe I have.
Thanks for the call Ruairidh and telling me that drifting the housing out is fairly easy, so will be doing so tomorrow.
Once that's done, it will be interesting to see what damage has been done to the crank.

Geoff - Let's see what tomorrow reveals.

Geoff - just to say I drifted into your earlier videos and they were very instructional, thanks.
I like the bits where you have forwarded fast through things like bolt unfastening etc. and as teaching tools they could do with a little more editing of general talking, but all that takes time and it was great that you have done them and uploaded.
So thankyou!

JonE,
Thanks for the kind remarks.

Great minds think alike, as I agree with you regarding my talking in the videos 👍👏
I have been cringing whilst reviewing them, so will 'button up' in future, unless I have something of worth to say 🤔
Tapping that bearing housing out will be the first test, and will go back to using the Canon HV20 with the shotgun mic.
I used my phone for the previous videos.
There is definitely a skill in this video production malarkey.

Geoff - The kind of advise I appreciate.

don't stop talking - they are quite engaging!

It does bring up something about learning and Sevens which gets to the crux of the issues of how Sevening will continue in the longer term/future generations, generally, in light of reading Les Gammons article in BA7 newsletter from April 2016. I'll start a new thread tho on that later...

Adding to Jims comments when drifting out from the inside of the crankcase you will see two (one either side of the crank) small half round indentations in the crankshaft. If you place your drift in these and onto the bearing inner race then alternate one to the other whilst knocking out it should come easily once heated around the bearing and carrier.

John Mason

It's out!
Couldn't believe how quick and easy it was.
Thanks to Ruairidh and all for the advise.
Video will be posted once the front has been done, BUT I need advise please with regards that one.
New thread with photo for the front one.

Geoff - Always nice when things go better than expected