Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Phoenix Big End Bolts

Good evening all. Could someone please advise the recommended torque settings for Phoenix rods big end bolts pls?

Re: Phoenix Big End Bolts

35ftlb

Charles

John Neman told me 36. That's assuming you've got ARP bolts as normally supplied.

Steve

Agreed 35ftlb if you have the correct bolts. If you haven't, get some.

That is very helpful thank you.. Yes they are the bolts as fitted to the rods - torx bolts I believe they are called.

Check that on the top they say "ARP 2000" in small writing on the head. If not then stop. I had some yield on me and they weren't ARP.

C

Thats exactly what it says on the bolt heads. Thank you Charles

Wow!That is a formidable torque figure. What astronomic revs are used?

For a normal hardware 5/16 HT bolt 15 lbft is recommend.

A typical example of a the better steel commonly used for con rods would be sv Minx, 1250cc, long stroke, heavy pistons, runs to 5,000 rpm 16 to 20 lbs ft.

Those with ordinary conrod bolts must not get any grand ideas; already many bolts have been stretched to resemble Whitworth.

For those interested here is the link to ARP:

http://arp-bolts.com

This will explain the high torque figure - they are designed to work in stretch mode.

Thanks Martin

It seems the torque is with a lubricant more slippery tham moly, which makes the figure even more remarkable.

It is relatively simple to work out the approx load at various rpm. Figures may interest some if anyone has?

Not all appreciate (or believe!) that beyond quite modest rpm the max b.e.loading is upward.