Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: CHUMMY THIEF

My neighbour had his house broken into and the thief took a bunch of keys for his classic car collection - presumably intending to return later. We have a good idea of who the culprit was but no way of proving it. It has been costly and expensive replacing the door and ignition barrels in several cars.

Touch wood I have been lucky in my life seldom to have been the victim of theft but it must be a horrible feeling that someone has been in and taken your stuff.

The only thing that happened to me was when I was at music college. I left a two volume set of Bach 48 (preludes and fugues) on the piano when I went for lunch. When I returned, they had gone; never to be seen again! How anyone could study music from books that they had stolen is beyond me!

Many years ago I returned to my "frogeye" in a welsh carpark to find a longhaired "oik" trying to unscrew my nice racing mirror by turning it round and round,I said "the nut under the wing is probably turning" he bent down to put his hand under the wing and I brought both hands down hard on his head which smashed the mirror!,he ran off leaving a trail of blood,I hope it was him that got the seven years bad luck!.

Sadly this is a nationwide problem, the railway preservation movement has experienced some amazing thefts of non ferrous boiler fittings, a couple of tons new copper plate for a firebox and rails, all big heavy items, are some of the items stolen. At the end of the day vigilance by both the stall holders and genuine customers is the best solution to enable the culprit to be identified and ostracised.

I find it difficult to believe that a genuine Austin Seven enthusiast could even think of doing this. Every Sevener I've met, including some of the grumpy old farts, have been kind, caring people who are always willing to help.

With that in mind I think we can all help the stall holders like Greg and Tony by being particularly vigilant...and carrying a big stick!

Thank you Ivor,

I tried wiring down the nice bits one year at September beaulieu, after we had a spate of bits going missing the year before.

When it got busy, I noticed there are hands stretched out between people trying to pick things up. Trays moved about with a clatter a couple of times.

One person threw a switch panel back into the tray, not happy about that treatment of my stock either. Perhaps it was done through frustration, or because he didn't like my distrust of people.

Things need to work both ways, if the stall holders are trusting enough to put everything for you to view without restriction. Then the public has to respect the trust given to them.

Sadly there is always a bad apple. If it gets to bad the FEW traders with vintage stock that are left. Will end up like many others and be ebay only sellers.

you don't get the same chance to view on there. You just trust the Discription, accurate or not.

Tony.

I'm a volunteer at a museum where we have several old vehicles. A carburettor once disappeared and horn bulbs are often targeted. We have to resort to devious means to prevent radiator caps 'walking'.

Its not just parts. Cars are being stolen from shows and no less than the Goodwood Revival car park last year.

Its depressing how low some people can sink.