Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Testing a CAV cut out.

If, IF, your cut out is the kind (aren't they all?) with the two windings I can't see how you could damage it Paul as long as you keep the negative (or the positive) grounded. Application of the other pole on the battery side will do nothing at all (no current because open) and on the dyn side will activate (or not depending on the voltage of the battery) the relay. The parallel winding is some tenth of ohms so not much power implied.
Hope this helps.
Renaud

If it is this one

Then use a multi meter to buzz out the connections. D goes to the contacts via the fuse and A goes to the other contact. Ground will be the case of the cut out.

Else, if it's this one

Then the fuse is in the switch panel. The diagram shows a winding to ground attached to CD (D) which can be measured using a multi meter. The CB (A) winding is only connected when the contacts are pushed together.

In principle, connecting only to D and Ground should pull the contacts together, connecting to A and Ground should push them apart.

I use a variable voltage power supply to check the pull in voltage according to the values (approximately) in the red book.

Peter

Thanks everyone for your input, think I'm sorted now.