Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Radiator for hill-climb special

Just as a side note, I had a 1997 Honda civic and it had a header tank of about a litre. It was a much bigger engine, of course.

I'm only away for a week so far and already you've bought an alloy Japanese radiator and are talking about electric fans and electric water pumps! I despair. You'll be buying a Singer Gazelle next

Steve

Until I actually began doing sprints and hillclimbs I hadn't realised how much time the car spends stationary in a queue,and this is when overheating may be a problem.It is very useful to have a temperature gauge to manage this.

Malcolm Parker
I am currently working on the front end of the hill-climb car. It will have a streamlined nose similar to Mrs Jo-Jo, so no Austin radiator surround.
I have purchased on Ebay a new radiator for a 1991 -2001 Honda Civic which is a very lightweight thing with a thin aluminium core. It weighs about as much as the filler cap and Austin script badge of a normal Seven.

I assume this is for Bert Hadley and not VSCC events!

I am building it for a bit of fun, at low cost. It won't be VSCC eligible but that doesn't bother me unduly.
There are plenty of events out there that it would be suitable for.

Malcolm Parker
Many thanks for that. I intend to use the car for Bert Hadley events but I may well make it road legal, albeit for short testing purposes.
The radiator will be positioned about 3" in front of the chassis nosepiece and the top hose connection will be at a similar height above the cylinder head to an Ulster. The radiator is not a cross flow and will be mounted vertically. It is fitted with a 0.9 Bar pressure cap.
The engine (the pressure fed Reliant crank unit) is unlikely to rev to much above 6000 rpm. I think the way to go is to fit the radiator and get an electric fan, doing away with the standard Austin fan. The water capacity of the radiator is 700cc. I will see how it is without an extra header tank or water pump initially. Fitting an electric pump will be a very simple job if one is needed.

An old friend had an A7 special with a shortened rad, shorter than Ulster. No water pump or remote header tank but it had an extra takeoff from the rear core plug on the head with an entry into the top hose using some Morris 1000 heater hose bits. Overheated in VSCC 5 lappers so with the aid of some plumbing fittings, in the paddock, we interposed an old 2 pint Castrol tin on its side in the middle of the hose from the core plug. Problem solved. I suspect you will be fine without increasing the coolant quantity but I thought I'd mention it.
Regards
Stuart

My Honda radiator has a single core. Looking at Ebay again, I see that the same Honda radiator is available with a double or triple core, at more money of course. With the benefit of hindsight I would have gone for a multicore unit. If my radiator isn't up to the task I will be able to replace it with a multicore very easily.