Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
am I mad or is an austin seven an addiction.

Today I agreed to sell my 60 plate morgan,milage 1395.I found I was not spending enough time with my austin seven.common sense says sell the Austin 7 and enjoy the morgan.in the morgan I will always arrive at my destination on time ,with no problems.with the Austin 7, I prepare a journey 2 days before,I never know if I will arrive at my destination,and it's to the nearest day, not time in hours and minites.I think I kept the seven for the excitement.

Re: am I mad or is an austin seven an addiction.

"Am I mad or is an Austin Seven an addiction".
In a word Peter; yes.
J

Peter - it's a disease, which once contracted, is impossible to be eliminated by medical science. One thing, though - you get more sympathy than other diseases attract. Good Luck with your confinement. Cheers, Bill (in a Home for the bewildered).

Not only are they addictive but if you are not extremely careful they breed!

Randy little bleeders!

Ian Williams
Not only are they addictive but if you are not extremely careful they breed!

IAN you may be right,

I find austin 7 owners are like vintage motorcycle owner. At some point you find yourself with a shed full.

If you only have one austin 7, then the addiction is well under control.

But it's bound to get worse at some point.

Tony.

I wouldn't worry in the slightest unless you are thinking about them before noon.

You need to be alert for signs of the inevitable onset of SPAS (Spare Part Acquisition Syndrome). The syndrome lasts well beyond car ownership and although not life threatening will normally be with the sufferer until death leaving a legacy of cardboard boxes for descendants.

Medical science is yet to conclude whether SPAS is hereditary or passed on by the above boxes.

I find that "I prepare a journey 2 days before,I never know if I will arrive at my destination,and it's to the nearest day, not time in hours and minutes. I think I kept the seven for the excitement" is uncalled for the Seven is the essence of reliability. I used my RN saloon to commute into work in Manchester from the 1980s to the 2000s and after the initial jokes about it from my colleagues, these turned to admiration at it's reliability particularly when theirs had broken down and they asked for a lift home. Yes I did have the occasional failure, nothing serious which I was careful to keep my colleagues in the dark about, usually by rolling into a side street to effect a repair unseen.

My own experience precisely Dave but with the city being Bristol rather than Manchester.
Oh and an RK not an RN.
And 1964.

Dave Mann
I find that "I prepare a journey 2 days before,I never know if I will arrive at my destination,and it's to the nearest day, not time in hours and minutes. I think I kept the seven for the excitement" is uncalled for the Seven is the essence of reliability. I used my RN saloon to commute into work in Manchester from the 1980s to the 2000s and after the initial jokes about it from my colleagues, these turned to admiration at it's reliability particularly when theirs had broken down and they asked for a lift home. Yes I did have the occasional failure, nothing serious which I was careful to keep my colleagues in the dark about, usually by rolling into a side street to effect a repair unseen.

Hi Dave,

I've seen you turn up on a few long runs, usually to rally's

The only one of your journeys I know of to be cut short, is when there is a BMW in the way

Tony

Ps, hope the new ( old ) wing fits.

I on the other hand always enjoyed the sense of excitement at setting off without knowing how far I might get. Not because the 7 is unreliable, but because my first Ruby had sat in a damp garage for 10 years.

After a year of ownership, the novelty of roadside repair had worn off, replaced with amazement at just how well the old girl performed.

That was followed by another Ruby, an RP, a '35 4 seat tourer and now a Speedex Silverstone... not all at the same time, but often overlapping.

I don't think of it as an addiction, though my poor long suffering wife may disagree!

As for the spares, she has given me strict orders not to go before her, unless I clear the garage first.

Got to sign off now. Hands starting to shake... need a fix of oil...

Nick

Ah yes Tony, however the 1 hour run from Nantwich took about 2 hours thanks to that BMW, but we (me and the car) did make it home under our own steam. No progress on the wing, the insurance engineer inspected the car on Monday and the body shop is waiting for the insurance company go ahead.
Yes Austin Sevens are addictive and if you leave two in the same garage you will soon have three, at least that's what we experienced.

I think we all get a medical condition called "Austinitis" . For Father's Day my son has presented me with a nice T shirt which has on the front a description of this condition.(Austinitis) noun. 1. Irrational fancy for Austin Seven cars leading to obsessive fiddling under car bonnet.
2. Tendency to muck about with cars.

Does this ring any bells.

John Mason.