Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: What is the correct layout for an Ulster dashboard?

Now its time for a few accessories see here

I think this is AUY 496 which sounds too late for a TT car

And patents plate. As described is for a un supercharged car

Robbie
Thanks "Austin in the shed". I'd forgotten all about Chris Goulds book...... Off to order me a copy quick-smart....

I think Chris's book gives the dimensions where they fit on the dash.

To me the appearance of the dashboard is very important,If you are building an ulster fit correct looking instruments.

Austin in the Shed

To me the appearance of the dashboard is very important,If you are building an ulster fit correct looking instruments.

Agree with Dave totally. My Ulster is very much a built up 'Bitza' but some things need to look the part. The dash is one of the main things (together with the seats) that make the car look 'right'. This is mine. The Choke Knob is on the extreme left rather than the extreme right but that's to suit the carb set up. All the dimensions and information you need is in Chris Gould's book. Surprised you haven't got a copy already. Essential if you're building an Ulster.

Steve

Totally agree Steve. Saving pennies now for the correct set of gauges...

Thanks for the photo, looks a cracker!

I agree with Dave too, dashboard and screen are focal points of the car. Here's mine.

Ulster dashboard

Lovely Robert - exactly as I would "like" mine to look ;)

Often find myself at the stall pointing out to Ulster builders two important looking parts of the car.

The first thing people see is you driving down the road, so good quality surround and R47s a must.

And as soon as you park up, the first thing anyone do is to look in at the dash.

So correct dials a must.

You can always save money elsewhere.

Tony

Robbie
Totally agree Steve. Saving pennies now for the correct set of gauges...

Thanks for the photo, looks a cracker!

One thing to consider,the oil pressure.If you are building a splash feed engine you used to be able to get a gauge that read twice the actual pressure,don't know if you still can?
If you're building a pressure fed motor with proper seals a 60 psi gauge is a bit low,100 psi gauge would be good.

Tony
Often find myself at the stall pointing out to Ulster builders two important looking parts of the car.

The first thing people see is you driving down the road, so good quality surround and R47s a must.

And as soon as you park up, the first thing anyone do is to look in at the dash.

So correct dials a must.

You can always save money elsewhere.

Tony

Hi Tony, we had that very same conversation at your stall on Sunday @ Beaulieu hence my seeking guidance on exactly what I should have on the dash.. So, if you do stumble across anymore Smith's Speedos, just like the one you showed me on Sunday, keep me in mind
cheers
Robbie

Hi Robbie,

I remember the chat.

As you can see by the cars shown they look stunning, when done well.

Perhaps someone can picture an Ulster dash with ruby gauges or non austin gauges.

An you will see the difference.

Tony

This may help, and confirms the above.

GO 6302, this was the car that Autocar, Light Car etc had to review from the factory, photo taken at the time and appeared with the review. I have a couple of more photos that I bought of this car but I can't remember if they include a dashboard shot.

Full review here.

Lovely photo Austin. Interesting to see the crackle finish on the dash panel as in the standard cars and the shape of the seat cushions, Moseley float on air type?
As Ruaridh mentioned earlier, I used to own OV 9 Ulster, but the guages in that were not original nor was the rev counter connected. I still regret selling it though.

There are more pictures in the Brooklands Books publication of Austin Seven articles.
The road tests in question feature OG 1845 and GO 6302 from 'The Motor' of July 22nd 1930 and 'The Light Car' of May 29th 1931.

Lance Sheldrick
As Ruaridh mentioned earlier, I used to own OV 9 Ulster, but the guages in that were not original nor was the rev counter connected. I still regret selling it though.

I understand Lance - I just remember it being a particularly nice car which had the correct unclutered layout for a non supercharged car- Austin's picture is, as you say, lovely

Ruairidh Dunford
Lance Sheldrick

I understand Lance - I just remember it being a particularly nice car which had the correct unclutered layout for a non supercharged car- Austin's picture is, as you say, lovely

It was quite a nice car and as you say Ruairidh uncluttered. One of the unfortunate things about it was that most of the floor had been replaced and the body number lost. The car is now in a private collection in Germany and has been restored again so no doubt will have lost even more originality.

Jim Holyoake
There are more pictures in the Brooklands Books publication of Austin Seven articles.
The road tests in question feature OG 1845 and GO 6302 from 'The Motor' of July 22nd 1930 and 'The Light Car' of May 29th 1931.

I got these photos from ebay a few years ago. Stamped with Light Car and Cycle Car on the back.

Initially I thought it was the same car as Autocar tested but I it isn't, (unless they changed the speedo!)

Mileage is at 36,613

Last one not of the dash but interesting all the same.

Austin,

The LAT picture is heavily retouched as often seems to be the case with Austin advertising pictures.
I don't remember seeing the insulating panel behind the silencer on many reproductions.
Your excellent three photographs from Light Car and Cycle Car show the same dash layout but gloss not crackle finish. Nice to see the standard steering wheel.

Tony.

What is the view on black or silver faced instruments, I thought from looking at old phots they where black but one of the last one Austin Harris posted shows a mixture!

The seat cushions are surprisingly voluptuous - so many great details in these photos.

Tony Press
Austin,

The LAT picture is heavily retouched as often seems to be the case with Austin advertising pictures.
I don't remember seeing the insulating panel behind the silencer on many reproductions.
Your excellent three photographs from Light Car and Cycle Car show the same dash layout but gloss not crackle finish. Nice to see the standard steering wheel.

Tony.

The LAT prints I scanned when I was in the archive, I think they were re-touched by the Autocar staff rather than the Austin advertising department. The other one from the review is below, in the article it was used as a cut out.

Pearls not a Singer

Jack French would have drilled holes in that rev counter.

Pearls not a Singer

Yes that is David's TT car. Now on an OF 4 digit number.

Tony Press
Austin,

Tony.

Regarding the crackle finish, does anyone know if this was the result of the 're-toucher's art', or in fact a factory dashboard finish?

Otherwise, was the correct finish a gloss or satin black paint finish?

Regards,

Bill

Bill - If it's any help, one 1930 Supersports "Ulster" I restored was allegedly very original and it had a crackle finish. To duplicate it was much easier than I expected. I guess the choice is up to the individual, and to those building up a replica - is it so important? I'm amused by people who insist on everything being "as original" when their car is a long-wheelbase, long-bodied example, because "Ulsters" were never built on anything but short w/b's. So can you really call a long w/b part-copy an "Ulster?". No doubt this will upset some. Cheers, Bill

Longbridge appeared to use a crackle paint finish on Seven dashboards across the range of models for a short period in 1930. I have heard it suggested it was for modesty reasons, the crackle finish being non reflective.

The dash panel could have been finished with a crackle finish,My 1930 RK was.

The best thing I did with my MGB ,crackle finish dash,was cover it with an accessory walnut dash panel.

Austin in the shed

The best thing I did with my MGB ,crackle finish dash,was cover it with an accessory walnut dash panel.

Why was that - is it a troublesome finish or did you just not like it?

Steve V.

Bill Sheehan
Bill - If it's any help, one 1930 Supersports "Ulster" I restored was allegedly very original and it had a crackle finish. To duplicate it was much easier than I expected. I guess the choice is up to the individual, and to those building up a replica - is it so important? I'm amused by people who insist on everything being "as original" when their car is a long-wheelbase, long-bodied example, because "Ulsters" were never built on anything but short w/b's. So can you really call a long w/b part-copy an "Ulster?". No doubt this will upset some. Cheers, Bill

Many thanks Bill for the information on crackle finish. The results of research is usually fascinating and I find the research stage of a project helps achieve long lasing enjoyment in living with the finished object.

Regarding naming a replica after the original, I consider one can, at least when one calls it an 'Ulster replica' and even though it may not be an exact replica, utilising for example a lwb chassis. If done well and with respect to the original, it still recaptures the spirit of the factory product, as well as the look, feel and driving experience. One must also remember that most competition cars from the 20s and 30s and beyond were frequently rebuilt and modified throughout their lives and survivors will now be far from original. As a lifelong lover of old cars, the lwb A7 Ulster replica enables me to enjoy the pre-war motoring experience while maintaining harmony in the household, so life continues to be a happy one.

I find it difficult to drive many old cars, so was pleased to discover the option of a lwb Ulster replica and even so, we have had to make some subtle tweaks to accommodation my 6'4'' frame, but that first drive was wonderful and is only going to get better!

I'm not in the least upset by alternative opinions, as I long ago learned that tolerance in most things in life leads to greater understanding.

Vivre la difference!

Cheers and thanks again,

Bill

Stephen Voller
Austin in the shed

Why was that - is it a troublesome finish or did you just not like it?

Steve V.

No Steve I thought it was a bit of a cheap finish for the rest of the car,It was looking tired at 30 odd years old and the walnut one was superb,Shame as I sold the car then.

[/quote]
No Steve I thought it was a bit of a cheap finish for the rest of the car,It was looking tired at 30 odd years old and the walnut one was superb,Shame as I sold the car then.[/quote]

Ah I see, often the way isn't it? getting things just right then selling.
Such is life!

Steve V.