Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Is it really worth £18,500?

Can anybody verify this auction?

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/the-87-year-old-wreck-of-an-austin-7-car-that-144121827.html

Holy Mackerel!

Re: Is it really worth £18,500?

Have a look at the Richard Edmonds website, most of the auction prices are shown for the auctions of last week

http://richardedmondsauctions.com/

Auctions are known for overruling sanity. Someone will regret being carried away...

If someone is silly enough to pay that much, then that's what it's worth.

Personally, I'd have said that £18,500 was over the top for a fully restored boat-tail, let alone a seriously incomplete wreck that's going to need another £10k spending on it.

How much of the original bodywork will be usable is open to question and I'd expect that the restoration would be approaching 95% new. Where does this put the initial £18k purchase price as far as an "investment" goes?
I suppose if one has to have an item and the funds are available it's the buyers business how he spends his or the backer's money.

What I find amazing is that it takes TWO bidders to make that happen. Someone else was right there bar £500 or whatever it was. Unless something went very wrong and someone was bidding against his own representative...

Did anyone notice the inlayed diamond-studded chassis number, by the way? Must have been an early special-build for a music hall star.

[I made that last bit up, by the way]

I was going to bid on that one - I have been looking for a boat-tail for a couple of years, and I thought that had potential ... but my ceiling was £5,000, which I thought was pretty high, but I really fancied it. As it turned out, I didn't even get my hand out of my pocket

i was at the auction.

everyone was interested in it. as well as phone bids.

i beleive both buyer and under bidder were in the room.

as long as the buyer is happy with his perchase, thats all that matters.

just as long as he doesnt join the club of idiots who pay to much for half a car. then when its pointed out to them, they come crying to the trade wanting a £600 worth of rear axle for £60.

not to mention there was no engine, gearbox. ancilaries. riste horn, wing missing. boot lid. headlamps, radiator, surround. bonnet. wheels.

'Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing' Oscar Wilde