Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: fume and valve chest cover - 1928 Chummy

HI Alastair,
That is a very wellmade fitting, just a suggestion for the catch tank try using a copper pipe 55 to 75mm about 150mm long blank off both ends fit two 15mm fittings near each end on the pipe on the same plane and one 15mm fitting at a 180 degrees as a drain using a plug,
you can then run this horizontally with the pipe from the cover coming in the top at one end and out the top at the other end as a discharge with a u-bend to point down.
this would look in keeping with the rest of the setup

Cheers

Hi Colin,

that sounds a neat idea. I like the idea of using a large diameter section of pipe for a short run as the catch tank.

At the moment am monitoring it. Not run many miles yet but presently there seems no sign of oil showing at the end of the catch drain pipe. The pipe ends just before the chassis cross member and bends down slightly. It must be a fine mist of oil coming out rather than actual heavy droplets.

Hi Alastair

The inserts in the holes each end of block may limit spray from the crank, but I guess most drops come from the cam followers.

My car had a history of short lived mains, attributed to crankcase condensation, so for much of the time I operated with positive ventilation. But when as original and operated very worn with blow by I do not recall any sign of burned oil. Perhaps the cover over the exhaust pipe on RP prevented this. Readers may have views on the merits or otherwise of fitting such to an earlier car if these do not have. May also reduce the fire risk from petrol, a distinct hazard on early cars.

Have others noticed significant oil spray from the vent holes at normal revs?
Leaks from the block but attributed to the cover are the usual experience, or were with paper gasket.