Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Can I drive legally with no lights or cycle wings?

Duncan Grimmond
If you have them, keep them in the boot in case it rains, whereupon you will be obliged to run on dipped headlights .......

Although many drivers use headlights in the rain, it is not required by law.

Hi, I did run my ulster special for a long time
with just brake lights No lights and no mudguards
And been stop by the police just so thy could look
at the car, Not saying it legal But i have had no problems
Good luck Take care out there
John

Thanks Jeremy

I thought that was the answer, especially after seeing a bunch of open wheeled vintage stuff driving to/from the Goodwood Festival of Speed at the weekend but was unsure if they had a special permission...

Looks like it might be a blast this weekend then :-)

cheers
R

Correct. The legal term is "poor visibility".

You still need wings though.

I was looking into this recently for much the same reason.

See Construction and Use regulations http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1986/1078/contents/made

Specifically para. K63 for wings.

Also Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/contents/made

ETA: Schedule 1 appears to contain much of the important information with respect to applicability according to date of first use.

Peter

Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations offences relate to "The hours of darkness". The fitting of lights etc for daytime use is covered by the Road Vehicles Construction & Use Regs.

So the conclusion is that running with no wings is illegal?

hedd jones
So the conclusion is that running with no wings is illegal?

unless you have two separate workshops where you are finishing the car, and you are driving between them

Ok, so no lights is no issue... No wings seems to be..

How can the cars I saw driving to and from Goodwood at the weekend get away with open wheels? I wouldn't think they would risk a conversation with officer dibble when on their way to the festival of speed??

I've often seen cars without wings being driven around. The hotrod brigade seem particularly keen.

I suppose plod have better things to do than be fully aware of regulations.

I think it may depend on the age and experience of the copper who stops you. What is not generally realised is that the Police have closed a number of training schools and now much of the training is done "on the job" these days. It is all about priorities and cutting costs. I doubt the minor offences get the attention they once did; there are more serious crimes being committed.

Also watch out for Part IV E97... No motor vehicle shall be used on a road in such manner as to cause any excessive noise which could have been avoided by the exercise of reasonable care on the part of the driver.

I think this means you need to keep the whoops and screams of unbridled joy at a reasonable level!

Oh - and there's a silver lining if the police turn up to find you broken down at the roadside, as you don't need wings fitted then!?? good luck on the test run.

Call me an old fart but old cars are being marginalised, our free tax/no MOT status makes us identifiably different. The least that we should do is play by the rules as written and not take the pi55. Wings when used on the road, irrespective of what Bugatti or hot rod owners do.

Charles

I once knew a Bugatti 35 owner who, although living in the UK, took his car over to France a couple of times a year in order to maintain its French registration. This was done entirely to circumvent the lights and wings rules that at the time applied here, but apparently did not in France.

Charles P
Call me an old fart but old cars are being marginalised, our free tax/no MOT status makes us identifiably different. The least that we should do is play by the rules as written and not take the pi55. Wings when used on the road, irrespective of what Bugatti or hot rod owners do.

Charles

Agreed.

Steve

If you refer to them as wings perhaps we should all aspire to having winged wheels….

We are surely annoying enough to those behind as it is, reducing them to a snails pace, asphyxiating them with smoke and covering them with a thin film of oil. Showering them with grit, stones and gravel may well prove to be the last straw.

That the law seems to be lenient or at least interpreted leniently is something that I think we need to respect in order to maintain the status quo.

ok, so wings on before test drive then...

Get it finished, Robbie! When you have that first blast up the road you will have enough to be thinking about without the worry of a copper stopping you and asking awkward questions. God forbid if you were involved in an accident whilst running without lights, wings etc?
I am lucky in having a garden long enough to have a good blast from one end to the other. I remember trying the special with the supercharged engine and narrowly avoiding the Calor gas tank!

A horn is a necessity.

richard wyatt
A horn is a necessity.

Does it have to be a horn? Would a hand bell not suffice? Or a trumpet?

Michael Herridge
We are surely annoying enough to those behind as it is, reducing them to a snails pace, asphyxiating them with smoke and covering them with a thin film of oil. Showering them with grit, stones and gravel may well prove to be the last straw.

That the law seems to be lenient or at least interpreted leniently is something that I think we need to respect in order to maintain the status quo.

Just re-read my post after a couple of glasses of Tesco's Aussie red...my God it sounded pompous, apologies folks but I hope you get my drift!

6V motorcycle horns are hardly expensive (about £6 on eBay) - and they are effective. As virtually all sevens would have had one originally, I can't see why one should not be fitted even if it is within the rules to do so.

Peter

ETA - about £11 actually, see http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BSA-AJS-NORTON-TRIUMPH-CLASSIC-MOTORCYCLE-HORN-6V-/322026563919?hash=item4afa47694f:m:mSoR4s_2SY7s8mbmwC8165Q

Vehicle Wiring Products £6.22 plus VAT 6v motorcycle horn.
Dave.