Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Sliding Roofs

absolutely not, I'm afraid! As far as I'm aware the construction and sizes are totally different. The RN sunroof is somewhat unique in using a lot for pressed steel in it's construction.

Thanks Dave, I half thought as much.

Hi Brian, do you think it would fit my Mk2 Ruby ? (your old one)

Hello Scott, hope you're looking after it!
I honestly don't know if a Mk 1 roof would fit a Mk 2. Hopefully the more knowledgable people on here will be able to answer.

Hello Brian and Scott.

The Mk2 Ruby sunroof is several inches shorter that the Mk1, to accommodate the greater rake of the windscreen.

I haven't checked, but I'm pretty certain that we make them to slightly different widths,too.

Neither has the same dimensions as the very similar-looking RP unit and the metalwork is also arranged slightly differently.

As Dave mentioned earlier, the RN uses two pressed steel panels with timber battens let into them, while the later models are all of substantially wooden construction.

I'm not aware of anyone making the steel sunroof parts for the RN. If anyone knows otherwise I'd be very pleased to hear. I'm afraid that it's going to be a second-hand (hen's teeth spring to mind), or specially fabricated job.

Many thanks for clarifying that Martin, I'll stick with what I have and no leaks!

Hi Martin and Brian,
Martin, thanks for the advice I wasn't sure
Brian, the car is going very well thanks, done about 2000 miles since I bought it
Thanks again

If you are looking for a RN sliding roof I gave Andrew Goodfellow one as a pattern, it wasn't much use for anything else. However before you go to a lot of expense check to see if the roof drains are intact in the windscreen peak Brian.