Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Does anyone know anything about this picture?

I had noted this picture before on this Site. Click to enlarge.

Captioned 'Miss J Alwyne – a respected mechanic working on a battered racer at Brooklands in 1931.'
I don't have my copy of B Canning Browns competition history to hand to say whether the car appears in there. The brackets appear to have telescopic shocks! Clearly no dampers fitted to the spring pins.

It is indeed Miss Alwynne and her car, I am delighted to tell you, is called Blotto.

Regards,
Stuart

Thanks for the link to those excellent pics of women racers. Do we still have their like today? How many females are involved in racing? I know the VSCC has a few, are there many in the austin fraternity/sorority?

Thanks for your replies on this,I wonder what became of Ms Alwynne?
Did she have any success with her Austin?
I can't think of many femail race drivers,In the VSCC Sue Derbyshire,brillant in a 3 wheel Morgan and Jo White.
Any others ?

I'm not sure of Ms Alwynnes escapades, only one mention in Canning Brown, driving some one else's Ulster, the name of whom escapes me.
Plenty of ladies competing in speed events, trials, rallies and driving tests with a healthy number driving sevens Including the Wilton sisters in their beautifully turned out single seater which is an evocation of the Kay Petre Sidevalve. The only lady I can remember seeing in an Austin seven at a race meeting in recent years was Claire Furnell-Williams with 'The Toy', though I would not be surprised and apologise if I have failed to remember anyone else. There are plenty of ladies racing other marques with probably the most regular being Jo Blakeney-Edwards with the Frazer Nash Supersports, regularly winning races or in the top places, as is Sue Darbyshire with her 2 speed Morgan, Gillian Carr who drives a variety of cars from GN/AC single seater to an Edwardian Vauxhall, Anne Boursot with an MG PA, and Sarah Foster (is this the same Sarah Foster who drives a Nippy in speed events) in a MG TB springing to mind, but there are certainly more who race less regularly, Alex Pilkington, Chloe Mason ETC. All are carrying on the spirit of the fast ladies of Brooklands in fine style.

Very interesting, compared with the plethora of Ladies who competed before WW2, particularly at Brooklands. I don't think it's well known that women weren't allowed to race in the same events as men (only in Ladies races) until 1928 at Brooklands. Historians may be interested that it's only a year or so back that Australian Joan Richmond - a delightful Lady - passed away. Apart from other successes, none of which Canning Brown mentioned, she was noted for co-driving the winning car in the 1000 mile race there. Incidentally, for that race Arthur Waite was given the flag to wave at the winner because of the Oz connection. Also Canning Brown's only mention of Joan (in the 1930 AGP) is incorrect, and a well-publicised photo of her in Clarrie May's Seven is not of her! Whilst on the subject of Beatrice, the Index of her excellent book listed Waite's wife as competing at Brooklands in 1925 - not so. She is listed as Dorothy Waite and her actual name was Irene. I'd suggest the name Dorothy and the stated race was a confusion with Gordon England's wife Dorothy, another brave Lady. Cheers, Bill in Oz

Sorry - a paragraph in the above has disappeared. The reason CB didn't feature much on Richmond is that the latter never raced an Austin Seven - only much more powerful cars - although she did practice an Ulster at a Melbourne circuit that had a short-lived history on the Richmond (co-incidence!)horse-racing track. Cheers again, Bill in Oz