Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: loss in compression

Does this car sometimes get started, run for a minute, then left to stand again? I remember the VW Golf I was sent to help. While the owner was away his helpful friend started the engine every day, ran it for less than a minute and switched off. After a week of this cold running, the condensation in the bores had rusted the rings to the bores - engine seized solid. Even tow-starting would not free it.

John Raeburn
Mmmm!
Looks like we are back to the rings, but for all four cylinders to fail together is a bit of a coincidence!
J

But not unknown. Long ago I looked at a jetboat powered by a MK3 Zephyr engine which wasn't started for some time while the owner did other jobs on the boat. What with one thing and another it sat around for quite a while. The result was it would whizz around on the starter, plenty of fuel and spark but no go. Negligible pressure on the compression tester on all 6 due to stuck rings, and you can't tow start a jet boat...And you couldn't get the pistons out with the engine installed.

What you said it whizzes around on the starter motor but there is no go, from all the very useful information you all have gave me I think it is most probably the ring's, I will report back on what happens.

Hello all, I thought I would let you know that I tried putting oil in all the cylinders trick today but, that did not make a difference at all, unlike the time before although when you turn the handle round once, at first there is compression but go to turn round the second time and it disappears, I might try the cola or the auto fluid next after I blast most of the oil out.

Diesel fuel is quite a good release agent too.

You say all the valves are free - have you checked the valve tappet clearances - should all be at least 6 thou.

Tony.

Sounds like things are getting desperate here. Could try old Norfolk trick -- put tennis balls in.

Yesterday, I put some coke in all the cylinders and left over night. I went round to my nans today, blasted the coal out and put the plugs in. At first I was not convinced it work with only very little compression but the more I turn the engine over with the starter motor the more it built up. As I turned the handle I took off the oil filer cap and could hear a squirting noise coming from it, what does that indicate (pressure leaking passed the rings)? The car did start in the end and me and my granddad took it for a run and opened it up a bit.

Hello all, just thought I would let you know that my ruby has lost all its compression again, I think it must need new rings on all four cylinders. I am quite disappointed after it went so well yesterday but, that is the way it goes unfortunately.

Harry, Try the ATF leave it at least 24hrs, maybe even crank it over and repeat, then take it for a good long run.....at least 50 miles preferably more, a jaunt round the block will achieve little or nothing.