Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Who built my Seven Special ? GN312

Good morning chaps,

I know its going to be a long road, but I’m trying to piece together the life of my seven. Its no-longer on the DVLA records, so are there other ways ? will request the build sheet from Gaydon.

Chassis Number : tba
Manufactured: Oct 1930

Why I think its more than a one off garage build – sorry I’m no Austin expert, in fact this is my first…

Chassis: looks standard chassis with lovely little T-pieces that fit to the outrigger and support the body / floor.
Body work: Aluminum on a thin tubular frame, the frame being beautifully made. The ali is wrapped and riveted, not the cleanest but effective enough. Where the panel work is curved its been welded. The bonnet has a lovely streamline curve for the driver, lovely domes also riveted giving clearance to the SU. Curved T profile to strengthen the bonnet. Battery located at the feet of the passenger. Side running light mounted on the drivers side.
Wheels: Front 4.50 17” Rear 3.50 19”
Engine: Dynamo, coil, SU carb, single downpipe to the silencer then a 2 pipe !!

And that’s where it stops for me, I’m reading what I can to see what else had been modified…

I brought the car from David Wilkinson of Southern Sevens, I believe he bought it from the north of England.

A few pictures.

Any help very much appreciated.

Kindest regards Matthew

Re: Who built my Seven Special ? GN312

GN issued Jan 1931 - March 1931 in London

thank you for the information Tim

The pictures haven't come up for me.I think the gaydon records are missing for the second half of 1930.
I seem to remember a green A7 Being on the cover of automobile years ago with a number like that,But I may be wrong.

This link might then work...

Austin 7 Special 1930

waiting to hear back from Gaydon...

Kindest regards

Hi, I am pretty sure the Serck badge is from the radiator manufacturer now a part of Unipart group , quite well known a few years ago they made custom rads and header tanks etc
A great looking car.

Thanks Peter, indeed they are still in business making header tanks :-)

Hi Matthew

Have you tried contacting the 750 motor club?

I had a short discourse via email with Harry Worrall (he has an interesting CV!) to see if he could give you any pointers. He has no recollection of it, but if it came from the North of England, that may be no surprise.

His thoughts were as follows…

“I don’t think the car was intended to be for racing, my guess would be as a trials car as it carries a spare wheel, never carried on race cars and very seldom on specials intended to be used only as a road car.

Although I did passenger in trials, the car is so generic for the period it would not be particularly memorable.”

Then subsequently…

“I take your point about ground clearance for a trials car but at that time popular events combined a lot of road miles interspersed with the occasional bit of off road, not as severe as sporting trials. This special could have been used for such events. Pure trials cars didn’t usually have lights but as you say, this car may have been modified for different purposes.”

The 750 club has regional centres. It may be worth researching the various northern centres to see if they have any archive records or if any of the more senior members recognise it.

Though very well built, it is almost certainly a one-off, like the Team Sigma cars. The professional look of their work would be easy to mistake for a bigger concern. The FW special was built in Harry’s father’s garage, with fibreglass work done in his bedroom!

I’m guessing that you are trying to find history to tie the chassis number with the registration. Apparently, that is all the authorities will now accept. Unfortunately, unless you can find definitive proof that connects the chassis number with the registration number, it is likely you will have to apply for an age related number. Good luck with your search though, as it will be nice to have some history, even if our friends in Swansea don't play fair!

Kind regards
Nick