Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Floppy flywheel - Drawings/advise needed please.

Anyone have suggestions on what Spring material to use or alternative clutch please.

Geoff - Next soda blasting episode will be on the body.

HI Geoff , on the next blast session it might be wise to keep your legs crossed ?

Merv

Am curious about intent of flex plate style flywheel. Is it in pursuit of smooth running, or to reduce risk of fracture near rear end of crank?

As I mentioned earlier up this thread, I believe that Rob Beck is the guru on all things A7 "floppy flywheel". This is his email address on this thread
http://pub25.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=2099944454&frmid=5&msgid=1010583&cmd=show

Ian Mc.

My understanding is that the floppy flywheel is designed to mitigate the effects of gyroscopic forces.
When a heavy item is spinning any attempt to rotate it on an axis at 90degress to the rotation causes a large force to be generated in another axis.
My father-in-law flew Mosquitoes during the war with two Merlin engines rotating the same way. The rotating mass of the engine and large propellers with a very light air frame was such that on pulling the stick back to rotate for take-off one wing (Right I think)would dip alarmingly. Very scary on a pilot's first take-off
The flexing of the Austin crankshaft must try to rock the flywheel. This releases gyroscopic forces that act on the shaft. The forces will stress the shaft and lead to vibrations.
Allowing the flywheel to flex means that it should reduce the deviation from the normal rotation so reducing the problem.

Rob kindly sent me an email advising that they have used industrial size bandsaw blade as a source for springs.
Need to be new/nearly new.
One for a power saw should be just a good.
Need to find a source then make a start.

Geoff - Welding next week then DTM

There is a good discussion on the working of the flywheel under the thread "nippy crank and rods"

R