Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Steering box renovation

Hi all. I am trying to find someone who does steering box renovations. I have had a look at mine and the gear wheels are really worn after 81 years of use. If I try adjustment of mesh between them it just gets stiff particularly on full lock.

John Mason

Re: Steering box renovation

Interestingly enough in a similar position, when I turn from lock to lock it almost seizes at a certain point, so after 50 years of non-use better have it rebuilt..

Re: Steering box renovation

John & Matthew,
The A7 steering box is a simple device, I've rebuilt quite a few over the years and never found one that couldn't be made servicable.

There's quite a bit of information already on this forum so try the search facility as well.

You don't mention if you have a '23-36 or '37-39 type boxes - but the principles are virtually the same. A good clean out, relubricate and adjustment works wonders. There are three adjustments and it's important to set them in the right order. With a bit of patience it's even possible to do them insitu.

1. Set the side to side clearance of the steering arm in the housing. This is by shimming behind a steel button in the housing. The thickness of your gasket is part of this clearance.
2. Also while in bits set the up and down free motion of the column in the housing. This done by screwing the column in or out of the housing. Some housings have two locking bolt positions and some only one.
Both of these settings are preferably near nil imperceptable clearance but without tightness.
3. On reassembly draw the gear into mesh with the worm and twiddle the steering arm until there is minimal free play. As you've said in your query, there is a high spot which should be at the 'straight ahead' position, which should also be when the steering arm is at 90 degrees down from the housing mounting flange. I do this with a steering wheel pushed on and turning from lock to lock with one finger.

It is possible to get to almost zero free play on the steering arm at the high spot. I've never tried turning the gear round on the steering arm or lapping the gear and worm - they seem to adust up without these more major interactions.

It is easy to do - have a go!

Dave

PS, if you do find some bad damage or corrosion, there are plenty of second hand boxes around that will probably re-adjust as above. Just make sure the column length is the same as yours.