Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Steering Column Lengths

Ok, so the usual dose of patience and the favourite medium size hammer required! Does the top of the inner column have at bearing or bush? and still the burning question are columns interchangeable?

Nick - presumably your proposed change is to give you a different column length to suit your special. If however your aim is towards that ultimate - to add on lightness with a different column/box, you will be wasting your time. I've weighed both aluminium and steel boxes and when full of their respective mechanicals they are exactly the same. Strange, but true. Good Luck with the project, Cheers, Bill in Oz

My objective is twofold. a) to take it to pieces and rebuild it simply for the experience and learning value and b)to make it available to use in the special if someone knows if the columns are interchangeable. I realise of course that the original RN's controls tubes will have to be dispensed with.
If weight saving was important I think a personal diet would be more effective!