Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Camshaft End Float

Hi John
The engine was out of the car at the time. I used a friend's three leg puller, possibly aided by a hide or rubber mallet? However, I imagine there are others here who have their own methods when a puller is not available?

If the engine had been the car, I think it would have been necessary to remove the radiator, at least...
Regards
Colin

Hi John,
As said above - you shouldn't fit shims between moving and stationary parts - it'll eventually graunch and cause a lot of problems. If the clearance is only a little out you could try tightening the nut to drive the gear further up the taper. You need some clearance but anything that has noticable clunking movement will hammer against the front cam bearing retaining bolt giving more movement and an oil leak. I don't use the square headed peg bolt but tap down 5/16"BSF through the crankcase right into the cam bearing to really anchor it - an Allen headed bolt sealed by a fibre washer then allows retightening insitu.

Depending on how long the cam and gear have been initimate and how tight the taper has been driven up (as above!) I find a long drift just onto the centre of the gear over the taper is often successful. Don't try levering off the crankcase - the lip there is quite thin and fragile.

So; if the engine is in the car and running and the clearance isn't desparately big, less than 10thou-ish? I'd try tightening and add to the list of things to fix the next time the engine comes out.

Dave

Colin - suggestion from here is that the desirable figure to aim for is 4 thou. Good Luck, Cheers, Bill in Oz

I find that a gap of 12 thou with the gear not tightened usually gives an acceptable 3 to4 thou when tight. You still have to do some final adjustment but it saves taking the thing apart several times while setting the gap. The

Thanks everybody for your help.

Bit annoying as not anticipated.

I'm going to check the bearing peg bolt first, reducing the head in situ (the bolt is quite loose), and then try your method, Dave, of tapping 5/16" BSF right through and into the bearing. I may then include a nut and Dowty seal on the Allen screw, as described on the Cornwall club site.

Thanks again

John

Does the hole in the camshaft bearing go right through the bearing wall?

The reason I ask is that having removed the peg bolt, I can shine a torch down through the hole. Is what I see the bottom of a blind hole in the bearing, or is it the camshaft itself? Whichever it is, it moves when I work the timing gear back and forth.

The hole should go right through. You can see the camshaft.

Thanks, Alan