Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Cast Iron 3 brg Crankcase.

Seems to have sold for £200. Just one bid.
I thought it would have fetched more.

I was tempted but resisted. A bargain for the presumably unstressed crank, rods, cam, gears, flywheel, etc alone. But collection at the other end of the country deterred me.

Jeff Taylor told me that some Morris 8 engines were used as starter motors for Centurion (?) tanks. This crankcase is painted olive green in a very military looking way (not under the starter motor!). Was there a military installation. The lack of the Austin logo cast into the side suggests this is post '39 and perhaps Reliant - but why cast iron - that wouldn't fit their need for lightness over the single motorbike style front fork/wheel? Was this from a special short cast iron run (when aluminium was at a premium for aircraft) during the war after Reliant took over the rights to the engine design.

Does the cast in part number give any clues? I couldn't see an engine number.

All speculation...........

Dave

I have not seen a complete crankcase here, but I have come across starting handle housings in cast iron. I don't know that this information progresses the discussion further, but it would appear that whatever the reason for the material it would seem they were also exported.

I've a NOS cast iron nosecone, a 6.5" RP type which I picked up on ebay many years ago.

Regarding the Morris 8 / MM Minor Centurion Tank generator / starter engines that Dave mentions above - these main battle tanks were introduced in 1945 and as far as I'm aware all British military vehicle engines of whatever make, size or type since 1945 have been painted duck egg blue. It could well be that pre-war military engines were painted olive green, but I've no proof of that. My NOS Morris 8 / MM Minor Centurion Tank engine (built post war) is duck egg blue.

Below is the MOD duck egg blue colour applied to a modern army surplus Perkins 4108 Diesel engine currently on sale at The Rocket Site in Doncaster.

Jeff.

Location: Almost but not quite, the far North East of England