Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Pre-War Seven Replacement Proposals and Engine Developments

Hi Alex,
Looks like a very dice place for the Fuel pump.

colin south of whangarei

Colin Reed
Hi Alex,

colin south of whangarei

Agreed! There are a couple of odd things about the conversion including the fuel pump, the downdraft SU's, the distance between the radiator and fanblade is pretty large, and the radiator seems to have been moved forward a fair way too. The sump would need to be pretty weird to get the engine far enough forward to necessitate moving the radiator though. Intriguing though, I'd love to know more about it...

From personal experience, the 803cc engine was OK in an A30, but very under powered in the Series 2 Morris Minor - probably why it was short lived, though the later A35 vans had an 850cc version (I think) which was quite sufficient.

I very much doubt the Opal with the gold seal A series is anything other than a later engine transplant. A friend had a very early Austin (I don't remember what) with a similar engine and was faced with the predicament of trying to find a period replacement or continuing to enjoy power, reliability etc, etc.

on that note, I believe the DVLA rules allow a later engine from the same manufacturer to be fitted to a vehicle, where the original is hard to replace. I seem to remember Honda and Rover cars being similar at one point. Does this mean I can pop a VFR750 engine in my Speedex without having to re-register it on a Q?

Oh and being a 2 stroke the air cooled Ehrlich engine was ported - no valves, with one of the twinned pistons sorting the inlet and the other the exhaust.

http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/pictures/this-engine-was-produced-by-dr-j-ehrlich-in-england-in-1946-news-photo-90744958#this-engine-was-produced-by-dr-j-ehrlich-in-england-in-1946-he-had-picture-id90744958

Regards, Nick

Alex Disher
Colin Reed
Hi Alex,

colin south of whangarei

Agreed! There are a couple of odd things about the conversion including the fuel pump, the downdraft SU's, the distance between the radiator and fanblade is pretty large, and the radiator seems to have been moved forward a fair way too. The sump would need to be pretty weird to get the engine far enough forward to necessitate moving the radiator though. Intriguing though, I'd love to know more about it...

I will put up a new post with some photos of "New development Austin" which Colin and others may find interesting
Dennis