Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: lift-the-dot, tenax and durable dot fasteners - historic use

Jon, as far as lift-the-dot goes I learn that they were a product of the Carr Fastener Co., founded in 1912 in E. Cambridge, Mass. The trade mark "Lift the Dot" was first registered in March 1914.
I have no doubt that they were in use pre war on motor vehicles (I can see them on photos of my Special taken in 1938.
I have no evidence as to exactly which fasteners were used by Austin on 65/Nippys except to remark that the instructions in the early Pitmans A7 book refers to undoing "the press fasteners which secure the hood to the body". I wouldn't refer to a lift the dot or tenax fastener as a press fastener myself but I suppose one might.
Regards,
Stuart

I would refer to the "durable dot" as being a "press fastener".

Here's a link to a website with various dot type fastener for reference.

http://www.sdproducts.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?cat=0&q=Durable+Dot

Stuart's evidence from Pitman's is very useful. I agree with both your interpretations! - and that fits with Chris Gould's general findings of press fasteners on a few original speccd cars... which has informed past restoration of his Nippy.

If anyone has any early shots which you think conclusively show press studs, or any evidence of very old press studs from original hoods, please shout!

This is a 1933 shot of a press car; the tops on the hood cover fasteners just seem a tad more bulbous (and possibly slightly larger) than modern durable dots? Can anyone come up with some similar?

I'm probably wrong, but I've always thought the Nippy hood was permanently attached along the back of the cockpit.
The Press car picture looks to me like a hood bag covering the hood. On the car I had the hood was rolled up and tucked behind the seats.

JIM - You "thought the Nippy hood was permanently attached along the back of the cockpit". Probably not so, as the factory instruction on Lowering & Stowing the Hood says "Undo the press fasteners that secure the bottom of the hood to the body" etc etc. - and their illustrations support this. Against the latter - their illustrations also show a square-cornered tunnel! Cheers, Bill in Oz

There were similar looking press studs on the seat base of my mk1 ruby. they secure a flap which allows access to inflate the pile cushion... is this a feature on earlier cars?

Regards
Nick

if anyone has a (or can) photo of such a stud that would be helpful, assuming they are slightly different from durable dot type press studs, Nick?

Ok possibly not even slightly, but they definitely resemble those in the picture you posted!

photo 20160803_132539_resized_zpshz9hc6j9.jpg

photo 20160803_132606_resized_zpsptb9ttyx.jpg

Sorry if not helpful!
Nick

perfect..
are they c.15mm across as per the modern ones, or more?

Hi Jon

Yes. Just about 15mm.

Regards
Nick