Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Car Moving Trolleys

My solution.

Had to fit larger casters as the first lot couldn't handle the driveway concrete.

Geoff - Making a pigs ear of TIGing.

Hi Bryan
I toyed with using some of these. But decided against after reading a review suggesting they needed some force to get them to move direction. I would be worried about the size of the castors. Any rough concrete floors could make them unusable.
If you do buy let us know how you get on,
Howard

Bryan,these trolleys are great if you have a showroom or a Mclaren type of workshop,but for the average garage they will snag on any ripples or chips in the floor. When I was workshop manager with Volvo we bought some but they were only of use in the showroom, even though we had an epoxy surfaced floor in the shop.

Being a complete cheapskate, I'd buy some swivel castors from Screwfix or the like and attach them to some 1" ply.

Bryan, I have one of these, purchased from Machine Mart, under each wheel of my RK saloon. My workshop is restricted as I have my PVT special along the length of the shop and the A7 across. I can very easily manoeuvre the Seven in any direction myself to work on it or the special. The floor is flooring grade T and G compressed chipboard planks which are quite smooth. there are a few lips to overcome, but the dollies are perfectly ok with these. I will have to use these even when the Seven is running as I will have to switch the cars round to get either one out. It's a bit of a work up but it's an acceptable solution. Without the dollies it would not be possible. I recommend them they are very useful. Alf

I can't argue with Ian's logic: they are relatively expensive, but..... I do already have a trusty chain block and a "sky" hook in my garage for engines.

Howard makes a good point about rough floors. However, like Alf, I need to move my Seven sideways to make best use of the space in my ( not McLaren) garage so Peter's point is also relevant.

I like Matin's "cheapskate" idea - would probably ensure better quality casters as well!

One problem though: what do I do with four of these things when not I use?

Thank you everyone.

One problem though: what do I do with four of these things when not I use?

Thank you everyone. [/quote]
Hang them on the wall! I do. Alf

Bryan Downes
.....One problem though: what do I do with four of these things when not I use?

Dining Table centre fruit bowls...

Location: Indoors, away from the raging seas in west Cornwall ....

I have a set of Pump Up dollies, they were not particularly cheap, BUT, they win for me, Their big advantage is you SLIDE the dollies under the car then pump them up to lift the car, no faffing about on hands and knees jacking the car up, I have moved some BIG HEAVY cars over roughcast garage floors without any problems... An A7 is alight car, you have it up on 16 smallish wheels which spreads the weight, and generally are not a problem moving unless you have a really bad floor.

Cheap skate they are not, but I have four and I find them invaluable. I have a 12/4 Clfton,, an Opal and a Rosengart in a 20' x 20' garage with room to work and another Opal in another annex 10' x 6' try getting a car in there as it is at a right angle to the front of the garage,that's it aside for the Paxton special hanging in parts from the ceiling.
Storage when not in use , under a car. My floor is not good and have old carpet down and still find them easy to use.
A brilliant bit of kit, couldn't do without it

I just use a trolley jack under the diff case and heave in the desired direction.

Ian regarding your "pump up dollies" are these the same type as used in Del Boy's Reliant? or am I off piste?

Hi
I bought a pair of Llidl's three wheel wooden ply Trolleys to move the A7 but it did not work.
Bit the bullet and now have four steel ones from e bay. I move the car every time I have to get the ride on mower out only need a slight push so great buy
Andrew

PETER clayton
Ian regarding your "pump up dollies" are these the same type as used in Del Boy's Reliant? or am I off piste?

I bought similar to these at a autojumble about 10 years ago for about 1/4 of what they would cost new, they work by drawing the 2 arms closer together, pinching the wheel and in turn lifting it,

photo otc-1580_w_ml_zps78c5d426.jpg

Now that is neat- bet they were dear when new!!

Tony.

Tony press
Now that is neat- bet they were dear when new!!

Tony.

They seem to retail about $450USD, the ones I have are quite capable of moving my friends BigBlock Ford Galaxy500, which is one big big heavy car.

Bryan,

it took me some time to find these photos, I did find a load of other interesting photos I had forgotten about in the process however, made by a friend up here in Scotland...

photo IMG_0864_1_2_zps0b5bbb66.jpg

photo IMG_0866_1_1_zps60f50c25.jpg

Ruairidh

Thank you for that - looks very good. Presumably, it was specially designed to move a car without wheels, thus built to take the axle stands and jack - very clever!

Also, many thanks to all the other contributers for their very helpful comments. Overall, there seems to have been a positive response for their usefulness.

Bryan.

Hi Bryan,

Here's one risque application:
https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=9CDC22A2D1BC5418!1320&authkey=!AF9FuvPFVjjy0ds&v=3&ithint=photo%2c.jpg

Cheers,
Paul