Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: logistic solution needed for 'body off' - don't want to re-invent wheels...

JonE. I think your idea of a wheeled table will work, though choice of wheels is crucial, especially if they need to run on anything other than a very smooth surface.

Your 100Kg seems too much. My Ruby body must be heavier, and me and the wife can carry it reasonably easily. This is a bare body with everything off. I guess the front is about 60lbs and the back maybe 90lbs. That equates to a full weight of about 67 Kg.

Just noticed you include doors ..... this could make a big difference.

Depends on the dimensions of your Mum's garage but:
If you drained the oil out of engine, gearbox and back axle, do you have the height to use a hoist to stand the chassis on end?
Could give you some more options.
Regards,
Stuart

I hoisted the body up with rope and pulleys and left the chassis outside under a tarp.

Hi Jon

I'm watching this thread with interest. I'm looking to fix a similar issue...

I'll be honest - I couldn't wait to get this off the ceiling and back on the chassis.

photo IMG_20150615_234419525_zpsmb7s82jo.jpg

The trouble with mine is I seem to need to take the body off every now and then to fabricate things and check clearances (steering wedge, brake cylinder bracket, rear shock absorber frame, hand brake, gear lever extension...). to make matters worse, the increasing weight alters the angle of the chassis, so to keep the body looking sensible I seem to be going in circles!

If you don't need this on-off approach, sort the chassis, axles, engine etc, then the body. If you do the body first you risk damaging it anyway. Far better to hang it up out of the way!

as an afterthought, will the body fit sideways across the back of the garage? crate it up and build a bench across the top!

Good luck
Nick

ha ha! "What happens if I move this pos.....t....."

THanks all.

I'm going to get some 6" wheels and take some 4x2 down. And I've just sorted an engine hoist which should be able to give me some slack. (Wondered if just that would be enough, but the getting it down and up each time is presumably going to be the niggly bit)

The body is in scratch coat but there are repairs/sanding/final filling still to do, and if i can get the underside bits done properly before its joined up (even if just into primer) then it seems the right thing to do.

Dont have height or width in garage for the other options, and there is already stuff hanging from the beams...