Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Shipping overseas

At last, my Ulster Rep is nearly ready to ship to the US and I'm looking for advice. I have contacted several shipping companies. RoRo is out, I think. However, even container shipping apparently has the car driven into the container to be secured by straps around the wheels and then the battery removed and the fuel drained. My concerns are these;I have heard that securing by the wheels is not advisable. So, chassis members, front axle? As well, the idea of someone unfamiliar with the car, or Austin Sevens specifically, starting and driving the car, even for a short distance is frightening.(Open bonnet, turn on fuel tap, tickle carb, retard the spark, set the choke, crank the engine by hand, turn on battery mast switch, turn on ignition switch, push starter button). You see my point. The idea of explaining to some mook that this is how it is started, causes me concern.

A pallet would be great as it could be moved by fork lift(given a reliable fork lift driver). I've had bad experiences shipping canoes across the US and Canada. Seriously, who uses a forklift to lift a 35 pound composite canoe, but decides to pierce it in order to lift it?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Best,

Erich

Re: Shipping overseas

My only experience of shipping across the Atlantic was not too good so I would make sure you insure it separately.

I brought a Seven with me when I emigrated to NZ, the car was probably pushed into the container, but no issues at all the car arrived perfectly. I have also been involved with bringing the Duck across from Australia for a race event here, in that instance the car was packaged up in its own special shipping case then loaded into the container, again no issues.

My brother and I have used this company to export a fair few old cars/trucks from the USA. http://frommamerica.com/ Service has always been excellent. I understand from Mark, (who runs the company) that they do a lot of import work too. Usual disclaimer-only a customer etc. applies.

When we moved the collection and parts to Poland it was 11 40-ft containers.

We packed them ourselves. AND signed papers that the tanks had been drained. My thought is insurance is in case the ship sinks not your items bent.

I always shipped my race cars by air. Generally airline staff are more careful than dock crews. My car weighed 680 kgs and went directly on a pallet with my direction .... I told the staff It had to arrive safely and I was going to drive it very fast. All seemed to understand and the loading crew was just great.

Things to watch out for:

Don't let them start charging you for more that one "pallet position"

Tell them that you prefer "standby" and not "Must go" and they can put it over another car..... be sure they protect the car below from ANY FLUID that may come out of your car. Just a sheet of plastic.

Be sure that the tank is empty and battery disconnected.

Be sure you are there for the strapping down. Once had the well meaning crew put straps OVER AN ALLOY BODY. As soon as I mention how fragile the body was they stopped and didn't do that.

I learned to say "This car is my child!" in several languages

Shop Brokers. You may need them for the paperwork. If the price sounds stupid high find another broker or go directly to the carrier.

My race cars we're 1930's and never damaged.

Good Luck

I do have to ask why RoRo is out? I brought a car back from the US a few years ago and, as long as it would start on the button, there was no problem..

There are any number of boats plying around the world carrying cars - the one that mine came back on, for instance, went back to the US with 3000 BMWs on it.

The shipping line I used was Wallenius Wilhemsen who you can contact here

www.2wglobal.com

As it was a vintage car, I just made sure starting procedure was stuck to the dash to avoid any doubt and just left a splash of fuel in the tank. It was no problem..

hth...

Hi Hugh,

The issue I have with RoRo is that the starting procedure is a bit complicated and that RoRo doesn't allow anything to be shipped with the car. I have some spares, like an extra set of wheels, tools, etc. and RoRo doesn't allow that.

Best,

Erich

hi erich,

if you are paying for a complete 20ft container, you shouldnt have to many loading problems.

if your car is a part load on a container, it leaves it open to the company to pack anything on and around it. or even in it.

if you are useing a part container, you can have the car fitted into a create along with the spares. and it would be loaded by fork lift.

if you use a smaller port, like themes port / gillingham. the handlers would be more likely to push the car into the container than drive it any distance.

tony