Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: NEW DEVELOPMENT AUSTIN

Jeff - thanks for thatinfo. Will email you separately to save cluttering up this thread.

Dennis. How have you got on with the rear brake shoe issue?

Looking at the photos, I wondered if you had thought about stiffening the chassis by making the engine more of a structural component since it isn't as likely to crack as a 7 engine block.

Rob Thomas
Dennis. How have you got on with the rear brake shoe issue?

Looking at the photos, I wondered if you had thought about stiffening the chassis by making the engine more of a structural component since it isn't as likely to crack as a 7 engine block.

Rob
I am still mystified. Have spoken to ESM Morris Minors workshop who's Steve was very patient and helpful, but he was equally mystified. It seems like only possibility is shoe length. He is kindly including in my parcel of small bits some adjusters from the 8 inch system of the later minors to see if they will fit and give greater outward spacing of the shoes. I am also waiting delivery of new QH shoes and new cylinders all round. (by the way avoid UPS if you can ....see some of their reviews on various sites....delivery tomorrow????)

The flexy chassis actually acts as part of the suspension system, so I believe. It was talked about somewhere a long time ago....Bill Williams? or some such other developer. Under the subject such as boxing/stiffening the chassis this led to even more considerations and work/modifications having to be done.
My first Nippy EJ 4322 did have a Bowden Parallel twin front spring IFS......what a wonderful difference that made over the standard set up.
The front axle by the way is Big 7 with its larger king pins (better able to resist being broken than the ordinary 7).
I actually visited Bowden Engineering in Ottery St Mary Devon many years ago. Small local firm. They gave me photos of their "drawings" of the system and gave permission to pass on copies to anyone that wanted them.
I must get round to sending copies to the archive if they want them?

Dennis - just noticed the Nippy remains! Out of interest, have you got any memory of things like the body number stamp on transmission tunnel (or indeed scrapped chassis number) from it, as its all useful for records despite being "gone"!

It also has interesting folding screen conversion on (does it look converted?) that would be interesting to have pics of for the Nippy/65 archive...

JonE
Dennis - just noticed the Nippy remains! Out of interest, have you got any memory of things like the body number stamp on transmission tunnel (or indeed scrapped chassis number) from it, as its all useful for records despite being "gone"!

It also has interesting folding screen conversion on (does it look converted?) that would be interesting to have pics of for the Nippy/65 archive...

How do I get to see the Nippy/65 archive?
ATR 860 is the Nippy I am working on and think you may already have the details. I seem to remember I was unable to find any numbers on the prop tunnel.
The fold flat screen looks professionally made and the quadrents are grafted to each of top and bottom pillars by halving the thickness and pinning and I imagine brazing.....I have had mine rechromed and construction was easy to see. Chriss Goulds Guide to the 65 and Nippy shows a picture except mine is the later type which has a recessed slot and as described the pivot tightening knob locks into square sided counter sinks at each end (as opposed to tapered countersinks. The knobs were missing and just grotty bolts used........I have been unable to source good proportioned butterfly bolts so am using the cross handle water taps turned down to fit.....these are from small sink taps but I have only managed to find one so far and need another to make a pair....ANYONE HAVE ONE IN THEIR JUNK BOXES????
I do have another with the little plastic red disc in the top middle indicating hot water tap, but would like a solid without disc to match the first one. Otherwise I will have to put the red one on the nearside (red - port - left for the seafarers amongst us!).
Dennis

Hi Dennis, as far as I know there is nothing like you suggest for this forum to add pictures. It only accepts links to them.

I am not sure the best way for you to get your photos online using a Mac. I am an Windows person so I have no idea when it comes to Apple software! I am not sure if there is a standard Apple online photo storage app but someone on here might know?

The software in autonomous cars will be interesting to say the least. My background is in software and software testing and I wouldn't want anything to do with them!

Simon

Dennis Nicholas
JonE

How do I get to see the Nippy/65 archive?
ATR 860 is the Nippy I am working on and think you may already have the details. I seem to remember I was unable to find any numbers on the prop tunnel.

That is interesting as its very late. I'm presuming that it was scrapped but that the body and bits continue to be used on a different plate? I'll email you.
The reigster page for Nippies is http://aus7in.wordpress.com/2016/05/29/photo-register-of-austin-nippy-sports/