Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Any advice on how to wire a new PLC switch ?

Hi all - any advice on the wiring here gratefully received .

No dynamo switching.

Its on a 1939 OPAL.%20void(0);

Thanks

Nick

Re: Any advice on how to wire a new PLC switch ?

I know there's a great piece on the PLC switch on the Cornwall Austin Seven Club web site, that might be useful.

Mains supply + 60W Test Bulbs. Really ????

Yikes!!
If you go to the actual article on the Cornwall Austin Seven Club website it states that the diagram as above came from an article published in 1940, and goes on to say on no account should mains voltage be used........
Obviously you could do the testing using either a test meter or car bulb with 'flying' leads and the circuit powered with car battery voltage.
Alternatively no power and a continuity tester / resistance meter.

Regarding advice, could you be more specific? - an appropriate wiring diagram is a good starting point, do you have one?.

Steve V.

The issue is that on the new switches there is no dynamo switching so not sure how you wire the dynamo as a consequence.

Hopefully someone knows !

1. You could wire it for permanent higher charge, - maybe reduce it a bit via the 3rd brush on dynamo.

2. you could have a separate switch for half charge or winter charge.

3. if you have original switch but it is damaged inside - repair or have it repaired.

These links maybe useful
http://www.austin7.org/Technical%20Articles/PLC%20Switch%201/

http://www.austin7.org/Technical%20Articles/PLC%20Switch%202/

4. buy a good used one via one of our cherished suppliers or ebay.

Steve V.

or perhaps convert the dynamo to 2 brush operation and tuck one of these things discretely behind the dash..

http://dynamoregulators.com/dvr3.php

?

Hi Nick, if I were to find myself in your situation (which I would try and avoid!) I would aquire a 6 volt relay with 10 amp contacts and wire the coil between the "T" terminal of the switch and earth, so ensuring that the relay operated when the lights were switched on. I would wire the make contacts of the relay between the "D" and "F" terminals of the dynamo. This would ensure that, when the lights were switched on, the dynamo whould give full output as determined by the position of the 3rd brush.
The dynamo should give reduced output when the lights were not switched on, determined by the resistance (3 ohms) between the "D" and "F2" terminals of the CFR2 cutout.

A suitable relay is available from A7 components http://www.a7c.co.uk/spares.php#electrical part number BG971.

Ian Mc.

Thats really cool guy's thank you very much.

Hi Nick

Following reply was given elsewhere to an enquiry about use of a simple version of the original switch. May be of use.

"The original switch caters for summer charge, but also has some duplicated or redundant terminals. The new one if only four terminals would presumably be, not in order; battery feed, ign to coil, side with tail, head. (Sidelamps remain on with headlamps.) No summer/winter facility.

Existing not in order has battery feed (2), ign, dyn, field (2) , side, tail, head. (Some connect side to tail so sidelamps stay on, whereas not with some original)

So can use the new but sidelamps will stay on with headlamps. The D and F leads could be connected thru a switch somewhere but would have to remember to switch to the winter state when lights on."

One virtue of retaining a winter charge option with lights off is that the safe 6v dynamo output of about 8 amps net on ammeter can be more or less verified.

John Cornforths diagram on Dorset Club site will likely prove useful and may save having to draw same for yourself to unfathom all. (He shows the switch in the side and tail lamps on position.)

The horrendeous advice to test with mains volts is just one of the many gross errors in Club site and other Seven information sources which require urgent remedy.

Thanks, I am following the route suggested by Ian right now.