Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Absolutely nothing to do with sevens but….

Wonderful little car. And certainly a lot of work to make it run, maybe like it never did in its time? Congratulations.

Chris Garner

Tom is to be both envied and congratulated in owning such a lovely Edwardian vehicle.

Not sure the edwardian epithet befits a french car Chris! Ha ha! Yes I'm rattling your cage...

Tom,

Really grand story which teaches patience is all that you need

Michael,

"This is a truly wonderful story and reminds me of my odyssey in search of lignum vitae balls..."

I won't ask

Tony.

With regards to Michael trying to find his balls, I managed to get John Williams in Swansea to pinch a couple of Crown Green Lignum balls to use as anvils for metal shaping. Top man! Polished up with a grinder and some Roloc discs.

With regards to leather, "The Brendan Voyage" is a good book. Trying to make a 4 man boat with leather skin to cross the entire North Atlantic using oars...magnificent story about rediscovering lost skills.

The balls...

It was a guilt thing.

While sailing a boat from the 1890s I carelessly lost the owners string of parrel beads over the side off Salcombe. He pretended that it didn't matter but you could tell by the brave(ish) look on his face that they had been very dear to him. He had spent several years and huge amount of money restoring the boat.

(Parrel beads are used on the jaws of a gaff to help it run smoothly up and down the mast)

It was too easy to find wooden balls/beads made out of something either unknown or inappropriate but I knew I had chucked treasured lignum vitae into the water, apart from anything else it doesn't float.

One evening when I have consumed sufficient Tesco Australian Red I will tell the tale. The suspense won't kill you.

It just goes to show there are still some of the old craftsmen around who will stop to help you and not try to sell you something else.

Hi Tony, you should have called in for a cup of tea,and a guided tour of the Liberty stadium, we play Leicester away on the 23rd of April. lets see if Tracy is laughing then. S&P

Hi Stuart,

I would have given a call and dropped in.

But I had to go to Devon to pick up some work first.

Had some brass strips made for the back of the switch panel, as they are usually broken and filled with solder. Needed them for my own switch panels. So thought I'd have a 100 done in case anyone wants any.

So beleive me it was already going to be a long day.

Started at 6am and got home at 8pm.

Although the large Cornish pasty at dinner time made it worth wile.

Tony.

Tom the Blacksmith
... now that I’m a happily married man and have my spare time back ...
Tom

Sorry, you've lost me there ... Love the motor, though

Hi Tom

As a matter of curiosity, how was the overheating cured? Some causes can be very subtle. On other makes I have encountered uncorroded but porous cylinder liners which did not leak significant tell tale water; only apparent after a small oversize rebore; a very obscure defect.

We are always told that friction is independant of surface but it does not seem to apply to tyres. I suppose with larger surface contact the chance of it all having low grip at any instant is reduced. The contact area with motor bikes is very small, but seem to grip reasonably.

Fopr comparison with Sevens, the bore and stroke and cc would be of interest. And you probably know the revs and bhp. When first introduced the RAC hp was usually a reasonable indication of bhp, although it favours few cylinders.

Hi Bob,

The overheating issue. Dad had to get a lot of the work done by a professional when it was restored the first time round, things like making the body, wheels, re-tubing the front axle, new radiator built to the original pattern etc. This man (who's still working) blamed the engine for the overheating issue saying the water galleries were insufficient because Dad had found the engine being used as a pump engine and therefore was not designed for variable revs. This is the reason Dad gave up and palmed it off to me.
I found a period correct single (the car originally had a single) to replace the 1911 twin and off I went. Whilst going through things and just as a thought I stuffed a hose pipe down the filler neck of the rad. turned the tap on and watched as the water poured out the top and dripped out of the bottom! Did the usual caustic clean out and no difference but whist moving it round I heard a little rattle, many a happy hour was spent with the rad on my lap rocking it side to side, if anyone had seen me I would probably have been committed. The result was a fist full of lead pieces, a perfectly flowing rad. and a professionals reputation in the bin. By the time I had found the problem I was to committed to the single to turn back.

As for the tyres I can tell you the tyres are to narrow. The first time I took the car out with the new clutch I gave it a bit of an Italian service and coming out of a sharp corner the back end slipped out which can't be caused by too much power

The engine is stamped as 1906 production but was first sold in 1907. The new engine boasted pressure lubrication and mechanical inlet valve. 100mm bore and 120mm stroke, 943cc and rated at 8hp. I have no idea what it actually produces and the rev limit is set by how much vibration you can stand travelling up your spine but I'm probably slightly exceeding it's supposed 1000rpm limit

Sorry for the essay,

Tom

Correction, Renaud. Shall we say either Loubetian or Fallièresian ??

Hi Tom

Essay or not, more interesting than the customary enquiries about dud dynamos.

Tales of dud repairs by "experts" are legion. Unfamiliarity with the vehicle one feeble excuse but does not apply to radiators.

Works out at 8.9 RAC hp and at just 1000 rpm bhp apparently less. Many sources mention the vibration of veteran cars. The later racing Peugeot narrow angle 80x280 twins must have been challenging. The smoothness of modern large fours is remarkable considering the huge secondary unbalance forces. I guess at higher rates there is not time for the structure to move.

Looking forward to spotting you in the next YouTube London to Brighton clips. Should be able to outstrip slow revving Yank one lungers.

Chris Garner
Correction, Renaud. Shall we say either Loubetian or Fallièresian ??

Ha ha!