Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
hydraulic brakes rear end.

Another question about the Morris Minor based hydraulic brakes - rear end.

What I know:-
On the MM the cylinders are in front of the axle with the handbrake leaver in the cylinders pointing downwards. The back plates are actually stamped RH and LH to either aid their positioning or to ensure the correct spare is ordered when replacing.
A consideration for positioning the cylinders is bleeding so that you get all the air out of the cylinder by having the bleed screw at the top end of the cylinder and pointing upwards, or slightly upwards from the horizontal. The bleed screws on the rears are screwed into the end of a brass banjo that is at 90 degrees to the "bolt- banjo" which is hollow and screws through the banjo into the cylinder and takes the pipe nipple and pipe on the end, so the bleed banjo can be rotated 360 degrees and the bleed screw can be pointed in any direction in a vertical circle.

The position of the spring on the Austin prevents the cylinders being in front of the axle since the outlet for the bolt-banjo is just in line with and almost touching the spring.
If the back plate is rotated 90 deg. to bring the cylinder into the clear behind the axle then the leavers point upwards but the bleed screw can still be rotated to point above the horizontal to let air out.
The penny did drop that by swapping sides with the back plates (LH moved to offside etc.) the leavers would now point downwards and bleed screw banjo could point strait upwards (or anywhere above horizontal). There is plenty of clearance to the petrol tank.
In a set of fitting instructions, found in the Archives, it says " with the leavers pointing skywards"...I am just wondering whether they had not sussed out swapping sides with the plates? I seem to remember that when I last had the car all together and running that the leavers were pointing upwards BUT that they slightly fouled the junction of the boot floor and side so I had to 'modify' by putting a small bulge upwards in the floor/side with a hammer!!!
I am fitting the plates/cylinders so that the cylinders are behind the axle and the leavers are pointing down. There will still be one leading one trailing shoe since the cylinder is free to slide in its slot in the back plate. Previous brackets to take the handbrake cable outer ends will be suitably clamped on each axle side tube. I have of course forgotten where I previously mounted the 3 way piece for the pipes and flexible hose!!!

I just wonder if I may have missed anything?

Dennis

Re: hydraulic brakes rear end.

I tried figuring this out, got confused, went and had a look at my unfitted set and then decided you're right! - As you've got one leading and one trailing shoe per side it shouldn't make any difference as long as everything can be connected OK.
Steve V.

Your proposed setup with the levers pointing down should work fine. I have come across at least two hydraulic conversions where the levers point upwards. One of them is my special which I bought in 1971. Although the brakes should be difficult/impossible to properly bleed with this arrangement, exacerbated by the bleed nipples pointing down, it's never seemed to be a problem in practice.

Stuart,
Am I right in thinking that there are thin washers either side of the banjo to make the seal between mating faces or have I got that wrong?
Steve V.

yes,
There are solid copper washers each side of the bleed nipple banjo.

Thanks Stuart,
most helpful.
Steve V.

I fitted mine rear cylinders in the same orientation as those on Morris Minors, my levers point downwards.

Whilst you can rotate the bleed nipple screw in any position, inside the cylinder, the in/out of fluid share the same drilling and to improve the purge of air, this should be uppermost, which is with the lever down, the other way, there may always be a bubble difficult to shift during the bleeding operation.

Once all the air is evacuated it shouldn't matter, but Morris Minor brakes are notorious for being bled due to trapped air and anything that makes this easier is my preference.

Stephen, the "bolt - banjo" that the pipe screws into and which goes through the banjo to screw into the cylinder has a shoulder that locates in the banjo and is bigger than the threaded bit that sticks out of the banjo so 2 different size washers . Larger is7/16 inch and smaller that goes between banjo and cylinder is 3/8 inch........that is internal diameters.

Hi Dennis,
I definitely didn't know that so will have to make a note.
Thanks,
Steve V.