Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
S U info

Hi All
I have a 37 Opal, Thinking to fit a 1 inch SU carburetor
Will it make "any" difference to the car ( when i go to santa pod)
Or if its not broke don,t fix it

Re: S U info

There has been a huge amount of discussion about SUs; available thru search.
My experience and the general consensus is that an SU makes a notable difference cf 26VA. I found to be as beneficial as a later head. Apart from the later non period semi downdraft models, the horizontal 1 1/8 with dashpot ex some Series E and following sv Minors is probably the most available. Innards same as 1 inch so performance presumably the same on a normal car. All/most 1 inch originally no dashpot, the device a very desirable improvement.

Re: S U info

As Bob mentions, there has been much discussion on the Forum about SU carbs. I have used both 1" and 1 1/8" on my 1931 saloon and have found the 1 1/8" to be best. The 1 1/4" is probably too large for a road going car. The beauty of the SU is that it is easily adjustable and bits are interchangeable and readily available. You also have a big needle constantly poking through the jet so you are unlikely to suffer from blocked jets. With my set-up the car will do 40 to 45 mpg driven quite hard up hill and down dale.