Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Family Touring of Northern Spain and France in a Chummy and trailer - Summer 2016...

Spain and France Tour – Summer 2016 – Part 1, the prep.

The Family

We weren’t expecting twins. We weren’t expecting three children, three children don’t fit in a Chummy, do they?

The Idea

About 14 months ago we were travelling around the Outer Hebrides in the family Austin Twelve – camping. It rained for almost the whole trip and, although we had a great time, we determined there and then that we needed some sun the following year. Our friends, the Morrisons, and we decided to take the ferry to Santander in northern Spain and drive back up through France.

The Car

Monty is the 1928 magneto fired Chummy we took, amongst other trips, across the Arctic Circle and back (before children arrived), see http://montygoestonorway.blogspot.co.uk and the car we chose to take us on this adventure. The engine is standard in almost every way besides a vintage Ricardo head and a special four-blade fan. It runs a Blic mag. and a D/D zenith and standard 6v electrics alongside LED lights, I fitted a special U/J prop shaft in place of the carden blocks and fabric coupling type and also a slightly lower ratio crown wheel and pinion (5.25/1) from the original 4.9/1. In May 2015 (see: http://pub25.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=2099944454&frmid=5&msgid=992693&cmd=show the car was completely stripped of it’s body and some much over needed repairs were effected before re-spray and assembly.

The Trailer

I first built the trailer to tow behind our 1936 Pearl on a trip to Switzerland back in 2014, it is aluminium in construction, less the small Indespension units and wheels. It had sides in this guise and these were removed for this trip in favour of a Thule soft roofbox, primarily to reduce weight but also the carrying capacity to prevent overloading! I fitted bicycle flags to the rear in an attempt to draw attention to the existence of the diminutive contraption to other road users. It runs indicators as well as driving and brake lights, all powered through a conventional trailer connector discretely wired beneath the rear seat. The whole trailer is so light as to be easily lifted from the ground by an adult. On our Pearl a bracket was easily fitted with a ball hitch but this proved problematic on the Chummy and after much head scratching and innovation a lightweight bracket was constructed with a pin and hole connector, a spare towing strap was made in case of failure and placed beneath the rear seat.

photo IMG_1390_zpsbt4hroze.jpg

photo IMG_1389_zps30bbiwnu.jpg

photo IMG_1388_zpsu7rr6axe.jpg

photo IMG_0001_zps3yceigxo.jpg

photo IMG_0002_zpspxtceld4.jpg

The Luggage
This was one of the biggest challenges we faced – space for five was at an absolute premium and we had to par luggage to an absolute minimum for the five week long trip. Each of us had a luggage packing bag that was roughly twice the size of a conventional Yellow Pages and this proved sufficient once all unnecessary items had been dispensed with. We bought an ultra-lightweight tent (of tepee contruction), sleeping bags and inflatable mats. Minute stools for the girls and ingenuous packing chairs for us. Cooker, pans, plates and equipment fitted neatly inside of themselves, all of this packed into the trailer. The children were allowed on small bag for toys and another for books, they spent some time collecting minute versions of their favourite games and dolls etc. over the course of the year.

photo IMG_0882_zpsqa1bfm2f.jpg

photo IMG_0884_zpsofjpcoyv.jpg

photo IMG_1499_zpsctmgrhdi.jpg

photo IMG_0003_zpsqemsfd4v.jpg

Luggage for five weeks...

photo IMG_1467_zpsebzcyhsw.jpg

I removed the original door cards and made new ones with storage slots for maps and folders etc. This was a very useful addition to the trip!

photo IMG_1422_zpsbcwf6r39.jpg

All of my tools and copious spares were packed beneath the front and rear seats and I fitted a secret floor into the rear of the car for our valuables whilst travelling. A small wooden compartment was constructed to fit between the front seat where we stored suncream, hats, wipes and water bottles. Small containers from Ikea were hung from the dashboard and in the rear of the car for sunglasses, head scarfs and the childrens’ pencils etc. Ikea also provided a small multi pocket device that I attached to the rear of the passenger seat by means of push dots, this provided a mini library for the girls as they travelled. A small 6 to 12v adaptor powered our phones, cameras, sat-nav and a small dashcam for the duration.

photo IMG_1423_zpsgujvthkd.jpg

photo IMG_1424_zpse2u1smd8.jpg

The final items we required were fitted neatly into the bespoke trunk that Martin made us, this has special pockets for the side screens and was used exclusively to store our food. Half the area for tinned/bottled/dry items and the other a small cool box for perishables and wine! Each day we purchased food along with a bag of frozen veg, this kept everything cool (including chilling the wine/beer!) and provided us with veg for the evening meal. The box also provided a table for our lunch stops.

photo IMG_0653_zpszqyd99t1.jpg

photo D3286135-2FFB-4BC4-BE5A-8D2D22B97982_zpstm2qyd16.jpg

To be continued...

Re: Family Touring of Northern Spain and France in a Chummy and trailer - Summer 2016...

Respect, to you all.

Re: Family Touring of Northern Spain and France in a Chummy and trailer - Summer 2016...

Wow and I thought squeezing everything for 2 adults camping for 5 nights at Le Mans into a TR3 was pretty smart. I am truly humbled. Well done that man!

Bill

Brilliant Ruairidh, it's amazing what you can squeeze into a Seven when you put your mind to it. I've no experience of getting three girls into a chummy but they fit in an RN saloon, we had a succession of French & Spanish exchange students staying with us. I see one of the girls seems to prefer melon to dinner. The box between the front seats is patented, all our Sevens have them for jet key, 1/4" X 5/16" spanner (fits almost everything on a Seven)screw diver spare bulbs pens etc and is where the extra switches are mounted for indicators, map reading & hazard warning lights.

Felicitations m'sieur! Bon continuation.
Really impressed by the planning and execution of the packing for 5 weeks in that small space.
Can't wait for episode two.

fabulous.

How many summers before age-related mass (i.e.child growth!) prevents the same happy happenings?

First of all Ruairidh, did you know your spare tyre's flat!

Seriously though that is an epic acievement, Rosie and I used to tour with my old Lotus Super Seven and we had all sorts of ingenious ways of storing things, including a round bag which was stuffed behind the spare wheel, funnily enough. All the other stuff was packed around our feet and piled up in the excuse for a boot.

For the two of us the Chummy was pure luxury...but for five, you deserve a medal!

Brilliant piece of organisation! Far more fun than putting the car on a trailer.
Slightly disappointed about the use of plastic for the oddments storage, surely a couple of Tate & Lyle treacle tins would have done?
Where did you put the dog?

Surely you would only put an Austin Seven on a trailer if it had broken down Malcolm, which of course never happens!

I had some pretty good childhood holidays Ruairidh but boy do I envy the memories that your girls are going have of their childhood holidays. Dare I ask what is the long thing in the tub on the dash next the door ??

Well done Ruairidh and the family but I think we need to hear more of Dave Mann's experiences of getting three girls into an RN saloon!! Lucky Man(n).

Nice one R, love the pics.

I remember you telling me what the fuel cost would have been if you done this trip in the twelve.

Are you ok to give us the comparison with the seven.

Tony.

Dave Mann
The box between the front seats is patented, all our Sevens have them for jet key, 1/4" X 5/16" spanner (fits almost everything on a Seven)screw diver spare bulbs pens etc and is where the extra switches are mounted for indicators, map reading & hazard warning lights.

I agree it is a really good idea and I may have spotted it in your car and "stored" it for later use :)

JonE
How many summers before age-related mass (i.e.child growth!) prevents the same happy happenings?

This was the last chance to do such a trip in the Chummy Jon - the Pearl with give a few years yet and then the Twelve.

Ivor Hawkins
First of all Ruairidh, did you know your spare tyre's flat!

I do Ivor - this will be explained in Part 3 or 4...

Malcolm Parker
Far more fun than putting the car on a trailer.
Slightly disappointed about the use of plastic for the oddments storage, surely a couple of Tate & Lyle treacle tins would have done?
Where did you put the dog?

There was some trailering involved at the start and the end I am afraid to say Malcolm - this will be explained in Part 2 however. The Plastic is very modern I agree, it served a very good purpose and will be removed now that we are back :)

We don't have any pets.

Paul webb
Dare I ask what is the long thing in the tub on the dash next the door ??

My wife tells me that it is suncream!!! A likely story!

Tony
I remember you telling me what the fuel cost would have been if you done this trip in the twelve.

Are you ok to give us the comparison with the seven.

I will share the consumption of oils and petrol at the end (once I have worked it out!).

Truly amazing R! I take my hat off to you all..... and just love the super pictures.

Looking forward to the travelling bit!

Bryan.

R,
You really ought to write a book on your travels.
Cheers
Dave.

Bah! Humbug! What a fake! Where are the photos of the accompanying panel van? Seriously though, mate - what a fabulous effort and what a memory for your lovely kids. You must be an inspiration to those who up to now won't take their Seven into the next postcode. Looking forward to more details. Cheers, Bill in Oz

Bill Sheehan
Where are the photos of the accompanying panel van?

A VW and Citroen panel van do make an appearance, see the next part for the latter.

Part 2 – The UK and Spain.

Departure

We live just north of Glasgow in Scotland and the ferries to Spain leave from either Portsmouth or Plymouth. Over the years I have driven down to both of these places on many occasions. In a Seven, with a trailer, it takes around three days each way to do this journey as I don’t use major/A roads (the touring speed is greatly reduced with such a load and I consider modern traffic dangerous, particularly when I travel lower speeds). Not wishing to loose 6 days continental touring to a journey I have oft driven I made the decision to tow the Chummy south with the small trailer on the roof of the modern. This proved a good decision and got us safely to a friends near Midhurst the day before the sailing. I was able to leave the Volvo and car transporter trailer at his house whilst we were away in the Chummy.

photo IMG_1468_zpsqqjcangy.jpg

After a little reassembly and repacking the Chummy and we were ready for the off. We were joined by friends in a VW Splitty who had driven direct from Aberdeen, they planned to join us for 2 of the 5 week journey. 5am saw us up and ready to leave, sleepy pyjama clad children were bundled into the back seat and swaddled in blankets. Chummy fired up and we headed through the pretty back lanes of West Sussex towards the ferry port. Once checked in we were surprised to be pulled over for the car and trailer to be thoroughly searched, our friend Geoff even more surprised to be taken away for an x-ray!! At last we entered the boat and settled in for the 28 hour crossing.

photo IMG_1490_zpsmmrudknx.jpg

photo IMG_1496_zpspvhglfds.jpg

We travelled with Brittany Ferries on their new Economique boat – less shops, less bars and no evening entertainment than the Cruise crossing, so the advertising said, I was sold! The service is akin to the budget airline approach, it is clean and utilitarian and it gets you there, no thrills, bar the smaller boat rolling around Biscay somewhat more than it’s larger and more stable sister ship. Quite a few were green on the crossing and I got plenty of left over food from my own lot to enjoy!

Picos looming...

photo IMG_1497_zpsv24rpjho.jpg

We arrived in Santander early Sunday afternoon – the beaches were full and the sun was out. Our chosen campsite for the first few days was near San Vicente de la Barquera on the coast. The weather in this area can be quite varied due to the mountains close by. We suffered some drizzle but it was warm drizzle and the children loved their short stay on the beach, the last before Normandy over a month later. The coastline is dramatic and sparsely populated, to the south the Picos stand tall inviting you to explore, so we did.

photo IMG_0002_zpsyyrkikr6.jpg

photo IMG_1498_zpsptolbkzc.jpg

photo IMG_0009_zpsrehzmylt.jpg

Travelling south we headed for the town of Potes, this is central to the Picos mountain range, a small but often unknown spectacle see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picos_de_Europa. From here we were able to explore the mountains each day and visit the mighty Fuente De. Temperatures were starting to climb into the mid thirties by now and we were settling into a routine of early start, late lunch, sleep and a very late dinner of 10-11pm.

photo IMG_1503_zpstkg4ar0l.jpg

photo IMG_1504_zpszqob7wov.jpg

photo IMG_1506_zps7livqmnw.jpg

photo IMG_0046_zpsam8mjnob.jpg

I noticed on some of the mountains road that the steering wheel was slipping on the column shaft (the cut out had worn slightly) so removed the clamping bolt, wrapped some beer can around it for packing and reassembled – worked a treat and I enjoyed the cold beer beforehand.

After a few days we decided to move south east and took the mountain road out of Potes towards the viewpoint at Puerto de Piedrasluengas. The road had many hairpin bends but leaving early gave us the cold damp air loved by the Chummy and we soon reached the top.

photo IMG_0056_zpsaxaj3emf.jpg

photo IMG_0053_zpsvuxzqpqf.jpg

photo BB990274-5483-413C-98BD-A76F147ED4D6_zpsjhu6loxl.jpg

Taking very minor roads we reached Aguillar and continued on to Pollientes before our VW friends (leaving some time after us) caught up in time for lunch. This are was very pretty and the route chosen took us through some spectacular gorges and climbs up onto the plateau before heading down again into the next gorge.

photo IMG_0018_zpslhxcgyyk.jpg

photo IMG_0014_zpsabbws76z.jpg

photo IMG_0061_zpsifidfrfi.jpg

We saw many eagles...

photo IMG_0063_zpskmws2gwb.jpg

photo IMG_0068_zpso7xpvbux.jpg

At Tresparderne we rejected an incredibly busy campsite in favour of one shown on the map at Frias, see: this was permanently closed however and we continued on. A mountain pass later and we were met with hundreds of miles plain and at last a campsite that was open and quiet – the community owned site at Busto de Bureba proved quite a find and we remained here for three days enjoying the large swimming pool and the incredibly cheap community run bar.

The plains!

photo IMG_0075_zpsgnivd8tl.jpg

photo ECBA1316-DC66-4BBA-9377-708CFAF9A065_zpssxsnqppo.jpg

photo IMG_1518_zps3ja1yc7l.jpg

photo IMG_0098_zpsy3dar4mz.jpg

photo IMG_0081_zpszrqv3a5g.jpg

To be continued….

Fuente De - the most terrifying cable car ride I have ever taken. Was in Cantabria 30 years ago looking for oil and always meant to go back to Potes and Aquilar del Campo

Six days out of your holiday travelling from Glasgow down south and back? Crikey. I'll let you off "cheating" with the trailer Ruairidh, that was most definitely the sensible option!

What a superb trip and all you've had to worry about so far was a slightly loose steering wheel, but I have a feeling that the fun may just about to start...now let's hope the gearbox oil doesn't start to vanish...

Excellent, keep it coming!

Looks terrific. Can't wait for the next instalment!

If your route takes you anywhere near us, you are all very welcome to camp in our large garden for as long as you like. Hammock, paddling pool, BBQ, washing machine, proper loos and showers provided. Would be great to see you all.
Just let us know.
Anthony and Judith Gaynor

I know I've done some 'adventuring' in my RP but I am truly impressed, Ruairidh. A brave move. Chapeau bas.

How did "Tiddles" perform with all that weight to carry and pull? Even with the 5.25 diff you must have been struggling at times, and you've already told us that most of the big climbs were in 1st gear.

What sort of cruising speed was reasonably attainable without overstressing the old girl?

Hola and well done Ruairidh! Emily, my 16-year-old daughter and I have just returned from doing the same trip as you, but in the motorhome, and in the reverse direction (Roscoff, S France, Barcelona, Pyrenees, Bilbao and finally the Picos, my favourite part of N Spain and recommended to anyone who has never been there.)

As we were struggling up one of the Pyrenean mountains I commented to Em that it probably wasn't A7 country. 'Thank goodness,' she said....
We got home to see your amazing tale and I'm quite humbled! Next year perhaps.

Alastair

Barry
Fuente De - the most terrifying cable car ride I have ever taken.
Second that.

Very envious of the adventure, more power to your elbow, looking forward to the next instalment!

Tom

Anthony Gaynor
If your route takes you anywhere near us, you are all very welcome to camp in our large garden for as long as you like. Hammock, paddling pool, BBQ, washing machine, proper loos and showers provided. Would be great to see you all.
Just let us know.
Anthony and Judith Gaynor

That is a very kind offer Anthony - thank you! We are home now but I will be in touch if we return.

Reckless Rat
What sort of cruising speed was reasonably attainable without overstressing the old girl?

On the open road it sat steady at 45mph but, more often than not, we were 25-30mph.

Alastair
Hola and well done Ruairidh! Emily, my 16-year-old daughter and I have just returned from doing the same trip as you, but in the motorhome, and in the reverse direction

It would have been very cool to have met up with you Alastair!

I will attempt to sit down with my morning coffee to scribe the next part in the coming week, thank you for your positive comments and interest.

Ruairidh,

Amazing journey well documented. For me it is much better to be an armchair traveller, so thank you.

The family all seem to be having a grand time

Why do your forum pictures load smoothly compared to Geoff Halsteads which seem to take ages to come up on my Windows 7 computer

Cheers, Tony.

Part three – locked in….

Busto had been good to us - the people friendly and the temperatures high. We made plans to depart early on the Sunday to make the most of the coolness and quiet roads. Ready to leave we found ourselves locked in with nobody about to let us out and, at the point where we could wait no more, we escaped up an embankment, across a football pitch and through a gate that had been wired shut. We were the only occupants of the campsite and the manager’s face must have been a picture when he arrived to a locked and empty site!

In Miranda we fuelled up and, on crossing the road, were pulled over swiftly by the Police who informed that my maneuver was forbidden – I settled in to receive a fine but, on apologising, was asked to go on my way.

Views north towards the Mountains...

photo IMG_1529_zpslgjplbcm.jpg

photo IMG_0115_zpsqwpqpv8b.jpg

Our route took us on the back road south of Vitoria and onto Lizarra. I was keen to stay well clear of Pamplona and with the help of my 1:150.000 maps we navigated on very minor roads that took in sleepy villages and small valleys. It was on one of these roads, in 40°c and without any shade, that we suffered our first problem – a puncture! The car pulled right and a quick look to the rear showed why. We quickly erected a shelter to protect the girls then Geoff and I set about removing the wheel. I decided to replace the inner tube there and then, conscious that we still had some miles to travel. 40 minutes later the job was complete but we found ourselves totally drenched and exhausted, a small river running near by provided a dunk pool in which to cool down.

photo IMG_1528_zpsortekggy.jpg

A tree provided some shade for a picnic lunch...

photo IMG_0106_zpsgrveqi3o.jpg

Driving along the old service road for the Motorway we soon found ourselves in Lumbier where we spent an enjoyable night mainly in the restaurant. On retiring we found a small group watching the Cup Final and next morning I asked the French motorcyclist camped next to us if his country had won – he told me that once extra time had been announced the rather grumpy bar owner had informed everyone watching that it was all over and switched the TV off!

photo IMG_1527_zpsn1gcqz3s.jpg

We planned to enter and climb the Pyranees, spend a last night in Spain and then cross into France the following day – things did not quite go that way however…

What a fantastic adventure, Ruairidh! It inspires me to start planning something for next year!

Excellent use of the car as it is intended to be, well done and hopefully your exploits will inspire others to make full use of their cars - while we still are allowed to! Thanks for sharing!

Part 4 – Crossing the border…

The night at Lumbier had seen us well fed and rested – the plan had been to drive the short distance up into the Mountains and spend one last night in Spain. The road to Burgui was good and the views plentiful, heading north from there we found ourselves in a valley that passed through the pretty mountain village of Isaba. I recognised it as one of the stopping points from a childhood trip (1981) with my parents in the Austin Twelve. A little further on we took a tiny road up into a wooded campsite. We had not travelled far however and it was still early afternoon – 17 miles away lay France and, in the end, the temptation proved too much.

photo IMG_0133_zpspduzvxnl.jpg

A climb, the biggest of the trip, stood between us and the border, we fuelled up and headed out onto the meadows back dropped by the sheer cliff we were about to ascend.

photo IMG_0131_zpsrygv1fiv.jpg

The gentle road soon became a steep climb winding its way up the cliff in a series of steep sharp bends. I found myself in first gear quickly and settled in for a long slow climb. I found that if I drove faster than 11/12mph or slower than 8mph the car would start to boil, a delicate balancing act ensued. I stopped very briefly at one point to open the bonnet to allow more air through the radiator. The engine and gearbox became very hot and I found it very difficult to rest my hand on the stick for more than a few seconds. Over 50 minutes passed before I found any sort of safe pull in by which time the gearbox was sounding very noisy and the clutch slightly stiff (more of this later). We stopped for some time to admire the view and allow the cars to cool down, above, wisps of white cloud were a sign – oblivious to us- of what was to come.

photo IMG_0137_zpsdpbd0fsw.jpg

photo IMG_0135_zpsksbwdxb9.jpg

photo IMG_1537_zpsakjz1ps8.jpg

photo IMG_0136_zpsienvztzs.jpg

5 minutes after leaving our safe sunny pull-in we entered cloud and our views were dashed, visibility was reduced to a few meters and every so often a cow would loom out of the mist. The road continued to climb and visibility became much worse – the road wound it’s way along the peeks that we only saw glimpses of. We considered turning back towards Spain and the Sun – why had we come on and subjected ourselves to this misery? Confident that the cloud was sitting on the peaks we continued, passing into France and a descent that required huge concentration.

photo IMG_1540_zpsxsk4iilm.jpg

5 minutes later...

photo IMG_1541_zpsmeq9l0nv.jpg

I remained in first gear alternating between rear and front braking in an attempt to reduce the effects of heat. Soon however the foot brake disappeared all together and I was forced to run up the side of the road to come to a halt. Smoke poured from both rear hubs! The stop allowed me to put up the hood and shelter the children from the rain at last – I used the last of our drinking water to put out the brakes and after 15 minutes I felt we could continue down. The weather worsened, thunder and lightning clapped around us and the rain became very heavy indeed. We began to pass villages but none had campsites. Eventually, relying on the sat. nav., we were guided to the pretty village of Aramits and to a campsite. 2” of water now stood all around us and I happily booked into one of the heated cabins for two nights – we hung our sodden clothes and maps out to dry and turned the heating up. Had we really been experiencing 38ºc heat only 3 hours previously and why had we ploughed on, away from it? We drowned our sorrows to the bottom of the real glasses in the cabin and headed to bed.

photo IMG_1547_zpsfsbt52qr.jpg

photo IMG_1549_zpsjqunzn5a.jpg

photo IMG_1548_zpsvimznxzm.jpg

Beer for jazz lovers??

photo IMG_1550_zpsl3vfxkih.jpg

Hi Ruairidh

Intrigued by your adventures. Apart from hiking or cycling there is little better way to become fully acquainted with terrain than driving a low powered car, esp an open one.
The gearbox would be transmitting and dissipating much less power than a modern. Presumably they also get very hot but nobody notices. I guess a lot of heat is transmitted from the engine. The braking experience interesting. The brakes would be comparable many cars of the 50s; possibly the fade is the price paid for linings with relatively light pressures in normal use. Any idea of the all up weight? Can pile on quite a lot before matching a late Ruby

Here owners of unsecurable sports and other open cars are reluctant to leave unattended, esp when obviously loaded with items, and owners of oldies further worry about petrol, radiator caps etc being souvenired. Exploring must be somewhat compromised.

If there is so much of Europe relatively empty and scenic I am surprised at the numbers of Europeans who tour here. Hired camper vans abound year round and attract unwelcome attention but your companion traveller seems to have adopted a presentation technique to deter opportunists.At the prices they fetch here I would expect the bumpers to be chromed!

Your trip puts mine to shame, but I am reminded of buying a centre punch at a ferreteria (ironmonger) in Potez, so that I could re-secure a loose brake pivot pin on our simiar Chummy, about 20 years ago. I also recall the buttock-clenching experience of the cable car at Potez! We still have a coffee pot which Fenella liked from the 'ferret shop' as we called it!

Robert Leigh

Part 5 – France emerges from the mist!

After a good sleep in the Cabin we awoke to moist surroundings – rain had battered the area overnight but our spirits were lifted by glimpses of blue sky. The children were able to swim in the pool and we restocked food for the next few days, enjoyed a beer at the local bar and walked around the pretty surroundings of Aramits.

photo IMG_1542_zps6dxcacbc.jpg

photo IMG_0145_zpsdirxan6a.jpg

photo IMG_0154_zpsf1gocual.jpg

The noisy gearbox was bothering me slightly and when I dipped it for oil was slightly horrified to find it bone dry! My initial thoughts were that the heat had boiled it dry and on refilling however I was delighted to find that it returned to a nice quiet box with a smooth clutch pedal, no damage had (seemingly) been done. After a short run I noted that a small pool of clean oil had dropped beneath the car, this was unusual, as normally the car drops nothing. Cleanliness of the oil pointed to the gearbox so I checked the drain plug, which was tight, and noted that it appeared to be coming from the bell-housing. I made a mental note to keep an eye on the oil level.

After two nights the sky had cleared and we decided to continue north. Taking minor roads we skirted to the east of Pau on route for Mirande. We found it difficult to locate a good campsite in this area, our VW friends were about to head back home and we wanted our last two nights together to be in nice surroundings. After several failed attempts we came upon Camping Du Lac in Marciac – a Bastide Town- and were surprised to be greeted by an English owner. The site was lovely and the surroundings very pretty but we found it quite strange to be amongst Brits (many were camping alongside us as well) after several weeks away.

photo IMG_0163_zpsi8zd2mhv.jpg

photo IMG_1552_zpstwo6owih.jpg

photo IMG_1555_zpslgfq0bzn.jpg

The town was pretty and we celebrated a last night together on a boat restaurant with seafood and wonderful steaks, t’was great!

Our friends departed the next morning driving a solid 4 days to reach their Aberdeenshire home. Those interested in such things may like to know that Geoff’s van came from the desert in California and retains it’s ‘as found’ look without major rot. The highly modified engine produces enough power to cruise happily at 80mph and well beyond if necessary. He told me that it had been very nice to follow along behind us at 25mph as he could see so much more than usual! It was very sad to see them heading off and we felt quite alone for once. We were heading for Toulouse and on to a school friend’s house. It was a very hot journey and we had to navigate carefully to avoid ending up on busy roads as we neared the city.

photo IMG_1556_zpszwhum2mj.jpg

Kevin greated us with a very big smile, a cold Pelforth Brune and his extensive swimming pool – what a welcome! It was his birthday that day and we were treated to Côte de bœuf, washed down with St Joseph and several of his cask strength malts – this holiday malarkey was getting highly addictive!

photo IMG_0211_zpsnylue6sq.jpg

photo IMG_1561_zpslj3lqa3h.jpg

photo IMG_1562_zpsfnznlilg.jpg

photo IMG_1572_zpsb78hoztw.jpg

Kevin has a very fast "7" which I was taken out in - it was totally terrifying and I have no desire to ever repeat the experience!!

photo IMG_1566_zpsxweugmll.jpg

Part 6 – The Dordogne and beyond…

We had found travelling on Sundays to be a good thing, the roads are virtually empty and lorries are not permitted to travel unless carrying fuel supplies and the like. With no tent to pack we were able to depart early and make the most of the cool air so loved by the Zenith.

photo IMG_0247_zps5t4dcejx.jpg

I am actually speaking to Hugh Barnes, the new A7CA Sec. in this picture!

photo IMG_0238_zpsgynjscyv.jpg

Our goal for this drive was the town of Belves in the Dordogne – back in 1990 I had spent time with my parents in their Twelve and several other friends in Sevens. It was a hot day and as the journey was not too long we spent time exploring places. We drove north passing Fumel, Bonaguil, Villefranche with memories from a similar route in my father’s Chummy whilst on honeymoon 12 years previous. Soon we arrived a fantastic campsite just south of Belves and were able to spend 4 days exploring the super scenery and soaking up the wonderful heat we were experiencing. I had to fill the gearbox once more – none the wiser as to why it was emptying I resolved, “if it wasn’t causing problems, I wasn’t going to touch it”.

Monpazier

photo IMG_1587_zps2zk6olp8.jpg

My parents joined us for a few days, here is Ian with his youngest granddaughter...

photo IMG_1590_zpsfovqpcfh.jpg

Leaving Belves we made for the village of Excideuil north east of Perigeux where my Rosengart friend Maurice lives. After showing us his collection we had a super meal followed by his own Eau du Vie! It was good to see him again after many years and also very interesting to see and drive his cars.

Maurice and me the morning after!!

photo IMG_1612_zpslk9fcwa2.jpg

Some of his cars:

photo IMG_0418_zpsikhenpar.jpg

photo IMG_0419_zpsjpaohcxx.jpg

photo IMG_0420_zpsaz1wmdwu.jpg

photo IMG_0414_zpshex5zxuo.jpg

This is his latest completion, he and some friends made four of them all together, each painted differently.

photo IMG_0414_zpshex5zxuo.jpg

photo IMG_0428_zpsvxnogopl.jpg

photo IMG_1606_zpsfieyusep.jpg

From Perigeux we took a long route north to Richleau where we house-sat for Austin Seven friends who were holidaying in England for the week. It was nice to sit on a sofa again, do long overdue washing and, best of all, have use of a fridge!

photo IMG_0446_zpsim2kloxc.jpg

photo IMG_0447_zpswjhuvrft.jpg

photo IMG_0445_zpsmse4uskl.jpg

A late arrival at our friends' house:

photo IMG_1621_zpsekk2c32c.jpg

photo IMG_1657_zpsibgkrq81.jpg

photo IMG_0575_zpsfnjq7btg.jpg

Poppy heads ready for harvest!

photo IMG_1664_zpsr3dxcuv7.jpg

Poppy with her poppy head - one of my favourites of of her.

photo IMG_0631_zps0qrvx543.jpg

My rear view for 5 weeks.

photo IMG_1670_zpsnrdelrry.jpg

Ready to leave...

photo IMG_1676_zpsobntg4es.jpg

The week passed quickly and we soon found ourselves travelling (on a Sunday again) north towards Le Mans. Here we stayed a Camping Retro where you can rent 1960’s and 1970’s caravans to stay in. MG friends from nearby joined us bringing a lavish 5 course picnic for us all to enjoy – it was quite spectacular. We visited the nearby villages, which are very old and reminded me somewhat of Castle Combe.

photo IMG_1684_zps1vfufywy.jpg

photo IMG_1681_zpswrp2shuo.jpg

photo IMG_0690_zpspesfwme2.jpg

photo IMG_0652_zps7admv7lv.jpg

Soon the very last day of the journey through France was upon us – typically the weather was poor as we drove into Normandy and on towards the Coast. Near Caen the car lurched right and I suspected a puncture – true to form, in pouring rain, I was forced to swap to the spare. Cold wet and in bad humour I was in no mind to put up the tent for one last night so booked into a hotel right on the sea front. The rain subsided and we were able to explore Courselles sur Mer, the beach and the seafood restaurants. Daisy got her mussels and I got my plateau du fruits du mer – all in a very fitting and satisfactory end to our time in France.

Our last lunchtime picnic stop, side screens in for the first time since we left Santander!

photo IMG_0724_zpshsb71sth.jpg

Daisy and her Moules Frites - one very happy 5 year old!

photo IMG_0729_zpswzxyjjtb.jpg

Next day we caught the 14:00 from Ouistraham landing in Portsmouth around 7pm. by 9pm we have navigated back through the lanes to Midhurst enjoying wine and cheese we had brought to our friends.

As we sat in their house looking out on Chummy it was hard to take in the journey the car had just brought us on. Five weeks of travelling, over 1800 miles covered without one single mechanical failure, two punctures and one blocked carb. jet our only let downs. The engine used just under one pint of oil whilst the gearbox used three. We averaged 25 miles to the gallon and weighed in at just under ¾ of a ton fully loaded.

It is unlikely that we shall be able to undertake such a journey again in this car as the girls will be far too big. They endured 9-hour driving days throughout the trip in searing heat, mostly they sang and looked at the scenery bumbling by. We met many lovely people, ate lots of delicious food and have very happy memories of a summer well spent. I encourage any of you who like the sound of such a trip to do it, good planning, preparation and patience saw us well.

What a wonderful story, what a wonderful family, thanks for that write up!

Well done R, again!
We spent some weeks touring France this summer but with barely a sight of the sun. Our crime? Using a modern car, so beware, someone is taking note. But places like Monpazier that you photoed made it all worthwhile.
Where next Ruairidh?

What a trip. It will remain happy memories for all I'm sure but the girls especially. Well done and many thanks for the tale with pictures.

Austineering at it's best. Good show R

A truly inspiring account of a great adventure, we both approve of Kevin's choice of malt.

well done R,

fantastic right up and pics.

if the girls get too big you can always take 2 x 7s next time. 5 will go into 2 fine. spare room for a cooler as well.

is it just me or do the pictures of the rosengarts, make them look like toy pedal cars. perhaps its just there colours.

enjoyed reading this thread, and i dont do alot of reading

tony

Congratulations on a truly inspiring trip with your family and the Chummy. Your account of it here has been splendid and your photographs were superb as always. Thank you for sharing.

Bryan.

It's surprising how much heat is generated just churning the oil around in a gearbox. When I acquire a 'new' gearbox, I drain it, inspect the insides to make sure there are no nasty surprises refill it with 20/50 oil and bolt it to the end of my lathe for a spin test. This takes about half an hour at 1000 rpm by which time the box is quite warm to touch.
So I'm not surprised the box gets hot bolted to a hot engine and doing twice that speed in bottom gear in 38 degrees c.

Sorry, brain fade! The cable car is at Fuente de.

amazed to find The Guardian has picked up on this momentous trip. Good on them.

Ha! Love it :)

Even Jenna Coleman prefers a Chummy to a Box Saloon it seems! Sensible girl.

Simon

Fantastic to read your France holiday in your Chummy with the family. Reminds us of our Tour de France effort when ten Aussie A7's packed in two shipping containers came over to join the 750 Club event. We were in my '29 sports for five weeks travelling in France, England, Wales and Scotland with all our gear stuffed in the tail - so hot (even for Oz standard).

How fantastic to hear from you Ronnie - I remember your visit well!

Photos of your trip would be very interesting to see.