Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Conversion of D type axle to Carden shaft type driveshaft

Hi all.
Quite a while since I've been on here, so hello again.

Our competitive trials season is happening currently and I've had some issues, so am swapping my low ratio D type axle into another 7 sports special, in order to finish the last two trials.

The car I'm using has the earlier style carden shaft. Thus the pinion flange needs to be smaller in order to mate to this propshaft.

Before I start pulling flanges off both pinions I have a question.
Can I just swap flanges?
Is there a different boss diameter behind the flange which will stop the straight swap?

Its 3 years since I built up this 5.625 diff, using all new original factory CW&P and axles. Ive forgotten if the flange boss controls one end of the axial location or not.
Does it?

I looked at putting my 3 speed box in, which has an adapted 4 bolt output flange. This would have allowed me to run my Hardy Spicer type propshaft. However time is against me (would need to move engine as well) as the trial is this Sunday. (its now early Thursday morning here)

Any advice will be appreciated.

Regards John

Re: Conversion of D type axle to Carden shaft type driveshaft

I read the post title and wondered why anyone would want to do that but now I've read it, I can see why!!

Yes, the two flanges are interchangeable. I do exactly that when I change my Ulster between 3 and 4 speed gearboxes although I do have two H/S propshafts rather than a carden type propshaft.

Steve

Thanks Steve.
Useful to know at this late stage...

And any answers to the query about controlling pinion endfloat? Does the location of the flange on the pinion taper play a part in this?

I know I could look in books to find this. They are however all in a storage unit, as I'm getting ready to finally get the earthquake insurance repairs done on my house. Yes, it is nearly 6 years since the 1st of our quakes. How the system works! And they've been knocking them out too!

John Newell
Thanks Steve.
Useful to know at this late stage...

And any answers to the query about controlling pinion endfloat? Does the location of the flange on the pinion taper play a part in this?

I know I could look in books to find this. They are however all in a storage unit, as I'm getting ready to finally get the earthquake insurance repairs done on my house. Yes, it is nearly 6 years since the 1st of our quakes. How the system works! And they've been knocking them out too!

No. In the D type axle it's the AC bearings in the nose that control pinion end float (they are held in place with that big LH nut)

Charles

Great news, thanks Charles.

Hopefully the pinion taper angle did not change from early to late type?

John Newell
Great news, thanks Charles.

Hopefully the pinion taper angle did not change from early to late type?

Pretty certain that it didn't.
Austin used the same tooling, threads and set ups for decades