Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
What wadding to use under fabric body?

Anyone have experience of what is the best wadding to use under the leathercloth on a fabric body? There are no open frame areas on the body, that is the fabric is stretched over either plywood or aluminium. I have three samples from Woolies. 1 is thin cotton wadding. 2 is 3/16" plastic foam and 3 is 1/8" total thickness plastic foam sandwiched between two pieces of stockinette type material.
Dave.

Re: What wadding to use under fabric body?

I would use something like a 2oz dacron/polyester wadding.

Peter

Having seen the job Peter has made of the fabric covering on his Cup this last weekend Dave, I'd follow his advice. It's the same wadding that I used on my fabric covered Special in the early 1990's and at that time was recommended to me by Jonathan Cooper.

Steve

I followed Sue Perkins advice and used a old army blanket on my Rosengart it makes a good job with no lines particularly on tghe subframe you describe.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Still deciding which way to go.
Cheers,
Dave.

Having seen a number of restored cars that, in my opinion, looked a little like a whoopee cushion, the thinner the better for the under layer would be my suggestion..

Water tends to run through dacron/polyester fibre and it doesn't decay in UV or with age like foam.

Simon

A quick follow up. I've spoken to my pal who fabric covered an M Type MG for me a couple of years back. He's done 20(?) fabric bodied cars over the years. He always uses 'Sheet wadding' from Woolies. Apparently it's about 1/4" in thickness but compresses to almost nothing when the job is done. I was *very* happy with the M Type when he had finished..

hth...

Edit: Here it is..

http://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/p-1548-wadding.aspx

Thank you Hugh, I have decided to go down the wadding route from Woolies as you suggest.
Cheers,
Dave.

I agree with Hugh Barnes. Foam will almost certainly give that "puffed-up" look. I have covered a few fabric bodies and always used the cotton wadding. The covering job is best done on a warm, sunny day, when the fabric will be more flexible. A hint from experience - make sure there are no projecting nail heads. The wadding may hide them at first but they will appear again when everything settles down.