Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Bosch distributor

My original distributor is very worn, the spindle wobbles about a fair bit. I bought a Bosch dizzy under the mistaken impression it would slot straight in, doh!
I'm sure I saw a thread somewhere on the conversion required, could someone point me in the right direction please?

Re: Bosch distributor

Possibly read this page first. From memory one of the Club magazines has a detailed conversion.

http://www.da7c.co.uk/technical_torque_articles/bosch_distributors.htm

Our Club Spares has the Bosch distributors already converted for fitting.

Tony.

Thanks for that, more to it than meets the eye. I don't have access to a lathe large enough to do the required machining so I'll have to get someone to do it for me. Is there a drawing or set of dimensions available to give to my local engineering boffin?
If I take the Lucas dizzy off as a pattern I can't drive the car!

Duncan

Willi McKenzie (Austin reproduction parts) carries these in stock pre-modified and fitted with the Austin gear.

If you are in a hurry, or short of machining equipment this may be an easier route. He also has the black caps if such things are important to you.

Keep the other one for spares.

Hope this helps

Peter

That sounds like a good solution, thanks

From memory the distributor just needs the location dia turning up another 1/8" up the body.
Fitted in a 7 there is no lubrication to the shaft so I drill a hole through the inside of the body into the bore where the little metal plate is fitted so I can give it a squirt of oil.
There is too much advance on the VW dist so sleeve the stop with cable insulation to reduce it,Another light spring on the bob weights (Only 1 Fitted as standard)is a good idea as well.
The gear is available from some suppliers and will fit straight on.
Get a spare condenser I found they sometimes don't last long .

I got mine from Willie , as I run 12 volt I put Pertronocs Ignitor electronic ignition inside the distributor , no condenser or points.

Yes that's what I use too, just don't tell Steve Jones.

hi
We have these in stock ready to fit with new drive gear £100 including VAT
tel 01202---625242 TO ORDER IN STOCK

Alan

You just did!!

Steve

Steve Jones
Alan

You just did!!

Steve

Yes, but how are you at the three card trick

I got out the dizzy from the other car yesterday and discovered that the one I bought on eBay has already been "done"
But the hole in the spindle is too big for a 3mm roll pin and too small for a 4mm one.1/8th seems to be the thing but the pinion is too hard to drill out to 4mm so I had to sleeve a rivet to link the two.
It's in and fired up and timed but I'm now waiting for a spare rotor arm. I got a spare points set and condenser over the counter but like to keep immediate spares in stock. I have a feeling it's a cheap and cheerful model, no 9 digit VW part number...