Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Absolutely nothing to do with sevens but….

Chris Garner
Correction, Renaud. Shall we say either Loubetian or Fallièresian ??

Ha ha!

Tom,

Really grand story which teaches patience is all that you need

Michael,

"This is a truly wonderful story and reminds me of my odyssey in search of lignum vitae balls..."

I won't ask

Tony.

With regards to Michael trying to find his balls, I managed to get John Williams in Swansea to pinch a couple of Crown Green Lignum balls to use as anvils for metal shaping. Top man! Polished up with a grinder and some Roloc discs.

With regards to leather, "The Brendan Voyage" is a good book. Trying to make a 4 man boat with leather skin to cross the entire North Atlantic using oars...magnificent story about rediscovering lost skills.

The balls...

It was a guilt thing.

While sailing a boat from the 1890s I carelessly lost the owners string of parrel beads over the side off Salcombe. He pretended that it didn't matter but you could tell by the brave(ish) look on his face that they had been very dear to him. He had spent several years and huge amount of money restoring the boat.

(Parrel beads are used on the jaws of a gaff to help it run smoothly up and down the mast)

It was too easy to find wooden balls/beads made out of something either unknown or inappropriate but I knew I had chucked treasured lignum vitae into the water, apart from anything else it doesn't float.

One evening when I have consumed sufficient Tesco Australian Red I will tell the tale. The suspense won't kill you.

It just goes to show there are still some of the old craftsmen around who will stop to help you and not try to sell you something else.

Hi Tony, you should have called in for a cup of tea,and a guided tour of the Liberty stadium, we play Leicester away on the 23rd of April. lets see if Tracy is laughing then. S&P

Hi Stuart,

I would have given a call and dropped in.

But I had to go to Devon to pick up some work first.

Had some brass strips made for the back of the switch panel, as they are usually broken and filled with solder. Needed them for my own switch panels. So thought I'd have a 100 done in case anyone wants any.

So beleive me it was already going to be a long day.

Started at 6am and got home at 8pm.

Although the large Cornish pasty at dinner time made it worth wile.

Tony.

Tom the Blacksmith
... now that I’m a happily married man and have my spare time back ...
Tom

Sorry, you've lost me there ... Love the motor, though