Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Brough at auction

Splendid project Paul! Congratulations.

I wonder what cc DVLA have got them down as?

Pics of the bike here....

http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/23600/lot/296/

Thank you R, for doing the pics.

I'll keep hold of my old head, just in case!

Tony.

I have been concenteating my efforts on local houses but these only escalate by 1/6 the Brough price per annum. Perhaps I should have applied more effort in the workshop.

Has anyone got a complete set of Brough drawings?

I have some new pre war plugs if anyone requires for originality. A snip at L500 each.

I can almost understand historic road and racing bikes attaining high prices but this low powered concoction seems a weird device to worship.

What would a similarly odd Ner a Car or Militaire fetch?

I hope Lawrences bike has not been found. It would be worth making and "finding" a replica.

Lawrence owned seven Broughs and number eight was on order when he was killed on his seventh. That bike, GW 2275 was found under a tarpaulin in Gosport in 1961 and the chap who found it ( Les Perrin ) was given it free, but had to pay the old owner £1 to deliver it. How times have changed.

I guess of the few remaining Brough Fours there may be one or two with wrong heads. I'm not sure where Dave Clarke got his new BS head from, or if anymore are available. I'll do a bit of homework and try to get some buyers for you for your heads, but no guarantees I'm afraid.

So if I offer them £3K to take it off their hands (allowing a bit for the resto) do you think they'd let me have it...:-)

"Just for interest - this is the 1932 Brough in the National Motorcycle Museum"

There is a need for an Alta head for a start !

Tony.

Henry asked "Were the Brough cylinder heads actually made by Alta?"

Not sure - all the pictures I have seen of Alta heads are without the 'Brough' fins, but the two Alta heads (side plugs and top plugs) shown on the Speedex site have combustion chambers a little like the original low compression head whereas the two Alta heads (side plugs and top plugs) shown in A7CA magazine 1989A article Silvertops for the Austin Seven show combustion chambers more like the '1937' head. The water outlet manifold moves location on both types of Alta head.

It is likely that Geoffrey Taylor continued making the aluminium Alta heads for some time after starting car manufacture- I have a picture of the cover of an 8 page brochure for Alta Cylinder heads - supposedly from the 30's.

Tony.

I use Tinypic picture hosting.

[https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=tinypic&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=qt-uV9ueK-rZgAa7g4q4AQ]

You need to register and log in and you can then upload your photos to a specified reduction (message board)
Once it is uploaded you can then go to your picture and cut/paste the code to your post on the forum page.

Now hurry up and do that, we want to see the photos!

Thanks for the picture assistance. Here are the bits and pieces (The pictures with the wheels is an old attempt at a rear drive which has now been replaced with real measurements. I visited a private owner who allowed me to take measurements

Very impressive, I love the detailing on the sidecar too.

Looks very good Paul.
What's the car in the picture showing the sidecar?

That a 1922 Wolseley Doctors Coupe.